Teething VS Losing Teeth

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by alschwahn, Aug 13, 2017.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Is there a difference between a dog teething and a dog losing teeth? Aspen will be 4 months old soon and I noticed the other day that the really tiny teeth in the front of their smiles are already missing! Just some. The center two on the top and the center two on the bottom. He looks so cute :p Does this mean he is teething? Sorry if this a dumb question, I just don't know if there is a difference. He doesn't seem to be chewing any more than he normally does and there hasn't been any blood or metal-smelling breath!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He's losing his puppy teeth in preparation for the adult teeth coming through :) Totally normal. They do look pretty funny with their gappy smiles!

'Teething' is usually a term used to describe the phase when human babies are getting their very first, baby teeth. Your pup is at a later stage - getting his adult teeth.

alschwahn likes this.
  3. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Aww I can't believe he is already losing teeth! I wish he was still 8 weeks old :)

4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

The do look cute don't they. When Bailey lost his baby teeth we actually only found two (and I have those washed and saved in my Bailey box) and only noticed blood twice - once on a cardboard tube he was chewing and the other time was when he was playing with my sisters dog - Riley suddenly had a rather red coat! He had no stinky breath either and although he was a chewing monster for a while when he was being particularly bitey I gave him a frozen chicken wing or an ice cube and that seemed to calm any discomfort he was feeling. I couldn't wait to wave bye to those little needles!!! but I know what you mean....it is a measure of the passing time :)

alschwahn likes this.