Terrified of brushing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by jaspersdad, Jun 2, 2014.

1. jaspersdad

jaspersdad Registered Users

Jasper has been wonderful in every respect. I'm so proud of him but ashamed of a mistake we made due to my wifes aversion to dog smell.
    We got some doggy deodorant to try but of course Jasper hates it! (Between the spray bottle and what must be a strong smell to him, I cant blame him) but of course it was combined with his brush so although the perfume has been ditched, he still runs and hides when the brush comes out!

I've tried to re-introduce it gently with lots of treats and praise, he's even eaten food held out on the bristles but as soon as I tried to touch him with it he bolted.

Is it worth trying a new brush or tastier treats? He loved his first trip to the beach yesterday but was desperate for a good brushing as even after bathing, sand kept emerging from his coat all night!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Terrified of brushing

Throw it out and buy a new brush that looks totally different. It will be a lot faster :)

3. jaspersdad

Thanks Rachael. That makes sense as there's probably a lingering scent of the perfume stuff on there too. I'm completely new to grooming though so am off to search the forum for knowledge!
    In the meanwhile, if anyone has particular recommendations for products or methods please do share.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Jaspersdad,Welcome to the forum.
    I know what you mean about sand!we live in the Middle East!I have a hand mitt that has quite soft bristles with little spheres on the end.I brush over Dexter every morning,takes me about 2 mins if that ,to go right over him.The mitt might be an idea as it will look and feel different to the brush,I think the sensation is probably that of a firm ,definite stroke and Dexter loves his being handled ::)

5. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

I second the mitt. I have a mitt and Milly loves it and will stand quite happily to be brushed but not as happy with the other brush I have. It's more like a good pat with a glove than a brushing if that makes any sense but still just as effective.

6. jaspersdad

A mitt would be good option being completely different to the brush, but I'll have to try one on as I have quite big hands so usually 'one size fits all' means fits all except me!
    Also when reading it seems that bristle or headed pin brushes seem to be most commonplace for labs. All the mitts I've seen seem to be the short rubber stud type bristles. What type of bristles (whether mitt or brush) do you guys recommend?

Just one more thing... I planned to use a furminator when shedding time comes. For those of us with pups around 3 months now, should we be expecting a moult this autumn or will it just be a practice run for their first proper shedding next spring?

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi there, I found the bristle brushes ineffective, and the wire one (recommended by the petshop) an instrument of torture.
    Bought a rubber "stud" mitten and found it was perfect. From the Factory shop, but loads of places sell them - they are inexpensive and a good size - I have long fingers and wear a size 7 glove or thereabouts and find them ample (=too big). Have a scout around and try them out. I think they are great. I have a Kong Zoom Groom, which, though good, is no better than the cheaper mitten.
    I haven't ever used a furminator, but I think it depends on what type of coat your dog has. I would advise you to hang off and wait and see. I know it would be no use for my dog, she just isn't densely coated enough.

jac

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I posted before but lost my post....here's ours ,including fur!

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

Surprising in our climate,Dexter doesn't moult that much,my friends black lab is moulting in handfuls at the moment as we enter our uncomfortable heat ..Dexter has increased slightly :)

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I have a Mitt, but its not very good , think it was too cheap so I`ll look for a new one . Sam is also terrified of being brushed , runs away if he sees the dreaded thing, I`ve tried everything to desensitise him, but to no avail, so I sympathise . Millie on the other hand, adores it :)

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My OH bought a furminator. I took a dim view. Tried it out very, very, gently. I have to say, it is fab. Took at least a hoover bag full of old undercoat out and left Charlie looking very sleek in his summer finery. I won't be using it very often, but I will use time to time.

Charlie doesn't mind brushes, he thinks they are toys and gets completely over excited trying to fight me for them though. What's new!

[quote author=jaspersdad link=topic=6373.msg84395#msg84395 date=1401712371]
    Just one more thing... I planned to use a furminator when shedding time comes. For those of us with pups around 3 months now, should we be expecting a moult this autumn or will it just be a practice run for their first proper shedding next spring?
    [/quote]

Charlie was born in April. In the autumn, it was a half hearted shed. Nothing compared to his winter coat being shed now. I'd leave the furminator until next spring maybe.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

My mitt looks like this one.......
    [​IMG]

12. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

It is a relief to learn that other member's dogs would rather be scruffy than sleek. I thought it was something I had done wrong to make her hate grooming.

13. jaspersdad

Thank you all for you views and keep them coming!
    I picked up another brush last night (the double sided pin and bristle type, the bristles just make him look so smart!) and he was quite interested - until it touched him!!

On the positive side, he did allow me to just touch his paws and flank with it. My wife also found it hilarious to watch me crawling around on my belly yapping and panting to coax him into that! ::)

I think I'll keep an eye out for a rubber mitt (I'm sure I've seen a similar thing as a palm pad type item too) and just keep it around to give him the occasional swipe. It's so useful to be able to ask / share all this stuff, thanks again.

Andrew & Jasper

14. lablover

lablover Registered Users

Megs eyes light up when I get her brush. She loves it. I brush her outside and she goes all silly. Rolls on her back making some right funny noises. When I've finished one side of her she'll turn round so I can get to the other side. She does love being tickled on her back and towards her bum so think that's why she enjoys it. Best of all the birds come and pick up her fur from the garden for their nests. So her fur gets recycled.

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Thanks for the photo Jacqui , I`ll look out for a similar one for Sam :)