That potato!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Millieboo, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

Millie has started to drop teeth a lot lately and I guess it's itching since she won't leave her chew toys alone. I was peeling potatoes today and I figured why not give her something else to chew on as a change.
    She's now been carrying this potato around for an hour with on and off chewing it.
    Hope that she will leave our shoes etc alone for so long as possible.
    [​IMG]

Joy and Sammyboy like this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh no, I believe raw potatoes are poisonous to dogs :(

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I've read that raw potatoes aren't good for dogs. Any green bits can certainly be toxic. How toxic, I don't know. There are plenty of anecdotes to be found on Google, but I've not looked for any science. I do avoid giving them to mine, though - and I can just imagine the look on Shadow's face if I offered him a raw potato anyway!

I don't think it's anything to panic about, but I wouldn't let her eat the whole thing if I were you.

4. Millieboo

Well I read that it's the peel that can be toxic and she didn't manage to bite any pieces off. My relatives and friends always given their dogs raw potatoes to play with and they are still up and running.

5. Sammyboy

Sammyboy Registered Users

I wouldn't panic , one of ours was a shocking spud thief all her life X

Millieboo likes this.
  6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Oh, that's so cute. Did it turn red? From blood? Dogs can eat raw potatoes just fine. Avoid green bits, same as us. Too much can be binding. I like a couple of slices of raw potato with salt on as a snack. I packed some for my lunch one day, completely forgetting how they turn black.

Millieboo likes this.
  7. Millieboo

Well I just called my vet to be sure now when people said it can be poisonous, he said raw potatoes are safe if it is peeled and that I make sure she don't swallow big bites as it can block up inside and be hard to digest. She did leave a little light pink spots on there (she literally have no front teeth at the moment but they are coming down).

8. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I let Maisie have the odd chunk of peeled potato as she has been absolutely fine!

Millieboo likes this.