The Beginners Guide to Flyball Lisa Pignetti

Discussion in 'Books' started by Dexter, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

Ok Dexter....you've got 72 hours left lounging on the couch like Caesar being fed grapes ......( or the doggy equivalent,I've just seen him on FaceTime ::) he indolently rose his head to give us a nod ;D)then it's back to work for you my boy!
    Rachael,you may need to steel yourself.....this will be a very slow process ( due to me of course ??? not my clever boy ;D)

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: The Beginners Guide to Flyball Lisa Pignetti

;D Coooooool 8)

It does take time.... Obi started Flyball training a year ago and were entered in our first competition on the 19th July. I think it's going to totally fry his brain.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6638.msg89330#msg89330 date=1403090879]
    I think it's going to totally fry his brain.
    [/quote]

Not Obi he's too cooooooooool 8) 8) 8)

4. Oberon

Oh no, he's going to lose it ;D It's a big leap from training with dogs you know to racing against dogs you don't. He might not get to do anything more than have some practice runs. If he manages that without running over to exchange shouty words with the other team I'll be happy!!

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Love the picture of Obi having "shouty words" with some random dog ROFL

6. Dexter

19 th July....I'll remember that ,I'll be in the UK ,I reckon the Obster will rock...but the first time ,an open mind is always good x from the YouTube clips I've seen it's really noisey ,and massive excitement and energy
    We are totally doing it for indoor activity during the heat,we will never get near a competition or even a club to practice with other dogs but it will keep our yellow boy occupied ......you never know,in the back of my mind I keep thinking ,train the basics as much as I can and if we ever get to spend some time in the. UK with him we have got foundations to build on to join in with some of the facilities that are available .
    I know you will have loads going on Rachael on 19 th but would love to see him in action if you get a chance x
    Ah I've typed this and there's been more posts.....lovin' Obi's intimidation tactics ......not right I know but the picture of it is so funny!
    Best of luck ,hope it goes really well x

7. Oberon

That's it, Angela, it's crazy - noise, colour, movement, excitement, all at a high pitch. The experienced dogs are totally focused and under complete control through it all, but to a new dog it's like landing on Mars. Obi is good with crowds and noises so I'm not worried that he'll be nervous but all the new dogs will be potentially overwhelming. During races there is nothing to separate the teams except a line on the ground. Crossing the line is a massive no-no and will earn a card. Too many cards and your dog is disqualified. So, we really don't want to get carded...

I will definitely take a bunch of pictures and footage :)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=6638.msg89338#msg89338 date=1403091857]
    Love the picture of Obi having "shouty words" with some random dog ROFL
    [/quote]

My team! We're the best! Loooosers! ;D ;D ;D

Charlie would go absolutely and totally nuts with excitement!

Go Obi!

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Good luck with the training, Angela!
    Murffi's little sister does flyball, and is a little star so I'm told. I can't imagine doing it with Murffi, he would completely and utterly lose the plot. :eek: :p

10. Oberon

Well, we are not going to the 19th July comp as there were too many dogs entered - too many for one team that is (max in a team is 6) and not enough for two teams. Some people had to pull out so we offered to.... So our first comp will now be 24th August in Sydney. We have a Corgi in our team which means the jumps will be low, which is good!!!!

11. Dexter

Oh I'm sorry that Obi won't get his run out on 19 th.....but I'll be waiting to hear how he gets on when he does get his run out,great you've got a corgi on the team ;)

Well Flyball training has hit a snag here......when I unpacked my box it became obvious that I need a Millie sized Labrador for my assistant ;D
    I've been trying to find a local carpenter to make me a box but I'm not confident that the concept is not being lost in translation ( Rachael has been helping me with some ideas ,thankyou as always :* and I found this and took it down to a local,workshop http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Ranch/2119/boxplan.htm ) I think I would get a box but the whole ball mechanism is a challenge.....
    Not to worry,I've found a UK company that build them in maxi and mini....their maxi is slightly smaller than the dimensions stated in the British Flyball Association so I've emailed them today to see if they can make me one to competition dimensions and arrange to ship it to me...I'm waiting to hear.
    I've ordered a piece of board that I'm going to try and use to start teaching the turn lying flat ...then hopefully by the time I get my box I have got a bit of a head start.
    Just a note on the book,it was really helpful to read if you were starting off with a view to compete,all the rules are set out and lots of theory on training but I didn't find the pictures that helpful.im finding I'm looking things up on YouTube to actually see dogs doing it for real more helpful.....
    Anyway that's just a little update .....we are on hold with Flyball but progressing with our agility equipment ok
    ;D I'll do a post in the other section ;D