The coat test

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by caroleb, Oct 27, 2012.

1. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Ever since he was a puppy Rusty seemed to get muddier than Barney. Everyone always says "oh it's because you can see it" as Barney is black it hides the evidence. I kind of went along with this but was never convinced so yesterday I did a scientific test, ahem I did vaguely interesting test..

After the walk which included wading in the river and running through muddy sand under the bridge I towelled each of the boys off with a clean towel. There was absolutely no doubt that Rusty was by far and away much muddier than Barney. His coat is very fine and soft and the dust seems to stick to it, where Barney's rougher courser coat seems to repel far more. So I'm convinced it's not a colour thing but a coat thing.

Anyone else noticed this?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: The coat test

Tess my yellow Lab had a soft coat and mud seemed to stick for ages , Sam is black and has a much coarser but thick coat and seems to self clean very quickly .
    One other thing Sam does is to lick himself when he is wet , its like he is drying himself, but with his tongue ?

3. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

The only thing that ever sticks to Rocket's coat (chocolate) is fox poo!

4. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I think the yellow coat is softer and finer. Rachael's fur seems much glossier and coarser than Tess. Isn't it the same for blond human's? I think blond hair is finer than black.

Maybe the extra pigment gives it more structure? Just guessing wildly here, I don't know much about hair except that it never does what I want it to..

5. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

Funny Sam that's what sticks to Barneys coat too, then again he does make a thorough job of rolling & grinding it in place! :eek:

Barney is also much better at licking himself dry like Sam which does seem like a contradiction in terms...

6. David

David Registered Users

Lady is black and has a really fine soft coat. It seems to work like teflon and all the muck falls out when she is dry - straight into the carpet! The only exception is fox pooh!

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Well I dont know what your problem is - MY dogs are NEVER dirty, or have stuff sticking to their coats.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ::)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

[quote author=Karen link=topic=833.msg4411#msg4411 date=1351504681]
    Well I dont know what your problem is - MY dogs are NEVER dirty, or have stuff sticking to their coats.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ::)
    [/quote]

:) :) :)

9. Sammie@labforumHQ

Sammie@labforumHQ Administrator Staff Member

LOL Karen! :)