The destruction of beds ....

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

So a couple weeks ago, I washed Rue's crate bed, and the washer/dryer somehow put a hole in it. She of course found the hole and pulled all the stuffing out. I figured she only did this because the hole was there.

We ordered her a nice, new "big dog" bed and it was delivered yesterday. I laid it out in the living room, and let her sniff it out and lay on it for awhile. Then I put in her crate and put her to bed. This morning we get up, and she had pulled out a LARGE amount of stuffing from one side of the bed as well as a few pieces of the actual foam padding. Her crate was full of stuffing! Ugh, I was SO frustrated! I wrapped a sheet around the bed in hopes to salvage what was left of it. Any tips? Has anyone else's pup done this?

This seems to be a new thing. She never tried to destroy her bed in her evil phase (2-4 months) ::). I'm frustrated that she's now doing it at 7 months.

2. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Re: The destruction of beds ....

[quote author=Rue7514 link=topic=9423.msg135491#msg135491 date=1420648884]
    So a couple weeks ago, I washed Rue's crate bed, and the washer/dryer somehow put a hole in it. She of course found the hole and pulled all the stuffing out. I figured she only did this because the hole was there.

We order her a nice, new "big dog" bed and it was delivered yesterday. I laid it out in the living room, and let her sniff it out and lay on it for awhile. Then I put in her crate and put her to bed. This morning we get up, and she had pulled out a LARGE amount of stuffing from one side of the bed as well as a few pieces of the actual foam padding. Her crate was full of stuffing! Ugh, I was SO frustrated! I wrapped a sheet around the bed in hopes to salvage what was left of it. Any tips? Has anyone else's pup done this?

This seems to be a new thing. She never tried to destroy her bed in her evil phase (2-4 months) ::). I'm frustrated that she's now doing it at 7 months.
    [/quote]

oh dear, Rue has discovered the delights of bed destruction. It is very common & not somthing you have done wrong. Labs just cant seem to get theier head round the fact that destroying your own bed probably aint a great idea.

3. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Rolo is 6 months and loves to destroy everything. Especially anything with stuffing in it! I made the same mistake and after repairing his first bed I stuck it in the washer/dryer and the bottom became paper thin. It took him a nanosecond to pull the whole things to bits.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vus4s9yj5v6v43p/2014-11-26 15.01.34.jpg?dl=0

He was given a reindeer for xmas and has took all the stuffing out. He managed too get the squeaker out too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuk617wzj5mukij/2014-12-28 22.45.48.jpg?dl=0

Just wish he could be gentle. Saying that this teddy has survived. Don't ask me why.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o878stvf3xnhoff/2014-12-19 14.56.41.jpg?dl=0

Sorry about the poor quality picture, all of my pictures are taken on my phone.

Kris

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hehe, Rolo, you're a star 8)

5. Rolokris

A star? Not the name that comes to mind when he destroys his bed, my slippers, the lino, the skirting boards I really could go on. I must say being inexperienced I would alllow him to chew his old bed and I have never allowed him to chew his new one, I can't remember the last time he tried.

6. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=9423.msg135498#msg135498 date=1420650612]
    [quote author=Rue7514 link=topic=9423.msg135491#msg135491 date=1420648884]

We order her a nice, new "big dog" bed and it was delivered yesterday. I laid it out in the living room, and let her sniff it out and lay on it for awhile. Then I put in her crate and put her to bed. This morning we get up, and she had pulled out a LARGE amount of stuffing from one side of the bed as well as a few pieces of the actual foam padding. Her crate was full of stuffing! Ugh, I was SO frustrated! I wrapped a sheet around the bed in hopes to salvage what was left of it. Any tips? Has anyone else's pup done this?

[/quote]

oh dear, Rue has discovered the delights of bed destruction. It is very common & not somthing you have done wrong. Labs just cant seem to get theier head round the fact that destroying your own bed probably aint a great idea.
    [/quote]

They don't like to toilet in them, but they have no problem eating them!

[quote author=Rolokris link=topic=9423.msg135500#msg135500 date=1420651563]
    Rolo is 6 months and loves to destroy everything. Especially anything with stuffing in it! I made the same mistake and after repairing his first bed I stuck it in the washer/dryer and the bottom became paper thin. It took him a nanosecond to pull the whole things to bits.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vus4s9yj5v6v43p/2014-11-26 15.01.34.jpg?dl=0

He was given a reindeer for xmas and has took all the stuffing out. He managed too get the squeaker out too.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zuk617wzj5mukij/2014-12-28 22.45.48.jpg?dl=0

Just wish he could be gentle. Saying that this teddy has survived. Don't ask me why.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o878stvf3xnhoff/2014-12-19 14.56.41.jpg?dl=0

Sorry about the poor quality picture, all of my pictures are taken on my phone.

Kris

[/quote]

Haha! I love Rolo. Rue is the same way with her stuffed animals. She has one we keep in her crate with her that she hasn't tried ripping up though, it's strange. I can't wait till she grows out of this!

7. Piperandb

Piperandb Registered Users

Oh! I laughed out loud when I saw the photo of Rolo and the bed innards. Only because I have seen the same innards at my house! Rolo must have the same drive as Piper. Interestingly enough, Piper has never destroyed/gutted her or Buca's bed in the bedroom, only the beds that were in the living room or laundry room. So now I only leave heavy fleecy blankets in those spots. But not ones with thicker bindings because Piper had a successful go at unbinding them. Her current favourite thing to rip apart is a cardboard egg carton.

8. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

;D ;D

9. Cupcase

Cupcase Registered Users

I'm a meany. I knew that those little needle teeth are not up to the destruction that those biiiig teeth can cause.

So Cupar was given the oldest vet bed in his crate, it's that old it's nearly got sentimental value. He now has it on top of an old rug in the kitchen. Not that he sleeps on it, he uses the charity shop sofa.

Can you tell I really am experienced in dog ownership.( not training ). I've had beds ,furniture and even the walls chewed by an eight month old. Oh and the crate didn't make a bit of difference she got out it.

I have been holding my breath and still am waiting for Cupar to turn into a destroying machine.

Now as for Rolo, butter wouldn't melt looks, hats off to looking soooo innocent.

10. snowbunny

I obviously only have two sets of needle teeth, not proper determined adult teeth, but the vet bed has stood up best to everything so far. Willow likes to chew it and gets tiny bits off it, but that's it. It's not the favourite bed, because they like the 'walls" to lean against, but if they are determined to chew those to bits, what am I supposed to do?! And who in high heaven decides it's a good idea to put labels on dog beds?! Most ridiculous idea ever.

Having said that, the last couple of holes in their two "other" beds I've sprayed with bitter apple, about ten days ago, and there has been no expansion of the perforations!

11. Indy

Indy Registered Users

These super comfortable dog beds look great, but I would never have one for a puppy or a dog until they get old enough to not chew it.
    Imagine when they chew they start to swallow some of the filling, it could get to point of a blockage and a trip to the vets :(

Vet bed is the way to go, although it can be chewed it does hold together a lot better.
    It is easy to clean and dry. With our 3 dogs to look after it is a simple rotation of beds one being used and one in the wash.
    Would not be without it :)

12. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Benson is almost 15 months old, he still can't be trusted with a bed, so we have layers of vet bed in his crate at night. His bed destroyer alter ego came out at about 13 weeks.....in the photo, he is actually inside his bed, his very first one... :) His eyes glow green when the bed destroyer takes over his body! ;D

[​IMG]benson in bed by kate_beanwood, on Flickr

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Those green eyes - alcopops. Check the drinks cupboard...

14. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Harley has never tried to destuff her bed, but any toy with stuffing or a squeaker is fair game still at 17 months! Every teddy and toy has been demolished - weirdly she pulls all the stuffing out but doesn't eat any of it ever! The only teddy to survive is her Lambie :eek: ???

15. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

Bouncer isnt interested in destroying squeeker toys wher as my last do Spike went out of his way to remove squeeker from toy & eat it.

16. Zacbrownpup

Zacbrownpup Registered Users

Zac is 14 weeks and loves to tear at towels and blankets. We originally had a small crate bed that he promptly tore into.
    So now - we just lay out towels for him on the floor and in the crate. But he will occasionally get up on the couch (not allowed) and lay down. He looks at us as if to say "this is SO comfy! Wish I had something like this!" Ok ok I might be projecting a bit... I feel bad that he doesn't have a nice doggie bed. So what is the consensus - wait? Buy something inexpensive? Do they really care about a bed?

17. 46heritageway

46heritageway Registered Users

[quote author=Zacbrownpup link=topic=9423.msg135924#msg135924 date=1420821841]

I feel bad that he doesn't have a nice doggie bed. So what is the consensus - wait? Buy something inexpensive? Do they really care about a bed?

[/quote]

Luckily Ozzie was never a chewer of his bed or crate, but when I did buy him a nice comfy new bed I did pout vet bed in it on top of the base bit and now a blanket I bought for him at xmas because he keeps stealing mine, and I'd say he likes it......

[​IMG]IMG_3544 by katiewalker913, on Flickr

But giving him his own blanket hasn't fixed him stealing mine, I was cooking dinner though ummm he's quiet when I came in, he had stolen the blanket off the sofa got his pig and made him self comfy on the floor with it....

[​IMG]Ozzie Jan Edit-20 by katiewalker913, on Flickr

Even sticks his tongue out as if to say... No this is mine so ner ner ner!

[​IMG]Ozzie Jan Edit-21 by katiewalker913, on Flickr

18. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

Awww....lovely blanket and lambie there Ozzy! :*

19. Rolokris

How cute.

20. snowbunny