The Joys of Agility

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by SteffiS, May 1, 2018.

1. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

Seems unfair that a complaint for one incident can get you banned from class! Poor Ripple. Are 1:1 classes an option?

2. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Never mind Ripple you are just too good for them. There may be another group around your area that you could try.

Fred's old obedience class had at the end of the session, an agility area for all the dogs to try. They found it great fun.

3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Come and join the Severnside Walkies Pack!

selina27 and SteffiS like this.
  4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Been thinking about this, must be a bit more to it - especially as the first week she said Ripple was hugely improved from last year. She has offered me a 121 as she still has some of my money, but I keep changing my mind as to whether to go or not. I'm still cross because the Collie left the course to go after Ripple the previous week and she doesn't seem to have taken that into account, but then I didn't complain as I just accepted it as something that can happen.

Also thinking this is worse than having children, I feel very defensive of Ripple and have also taken it quite personally :rolleyes:.

Candy, Rosie and Jes72 like this.
  5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh I am so sorry, what a horrible thing to have happened. :( You must be feeling really pants.

SteffiS likes this.
  6. QuinnM15

I would also not think to complain, as young dogs do all sorts of things, especially in the lower level classes that are meant for learning not only agility, but to be calm while waiting etc. Quinn has run over to snag treats dropped on the course, and has been interrupted and been the interrupter on several occasions. Trainer just asked for her to be leashed the full class the following week after I couldn't recall her from the course during another dog's turn.

I would definitely talk to the trainer about being asked to leave! I always feel defensive of the labs because they are just happy and goofy with no bad intent.

Rosie and SteffiS like this.
  7. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I've just entered "BANNED FROM AGILITY" in Google Translate. It came out as meaning "Incompetent dog trainers take the easy option!" ;)

I know its difficult, and the approach taken was hurtful, but I think you should view this as a short-coming of the trainer rather than Ripple. Count your blessings and look for the next adventure - whatever or wherever that may be. :) (Severnside Walkies perhaps? We're not far from you are we ;) )

Rosie, drjs@5, Naya and 6 others like this.
  8. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

100% can relate. I go absolute crazy dog mam if someone insults my baby. I think he’s perfect and if other people can’t see it the problem is clearly them!

Ripple is a gorgeous boy - the other dogs were obviously so basic they just couldn’t handle someone with as much personality and flare for life as Ripple.

Candy and SteffiS like this.
  9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

The agility class I went to did different days for different levels. The serious guys would go 4 days in the week and in the evenings in the summer but on Thursdays and Saturdays pm it was just fun class,. Which was fun and not serious at all. The trainer had close eye on her income stream and clearly enjoyed taking all levels. My dogs enjoyed it. Your trainer seems inexperienced and not a very good business woman.

10. Joy

Joy Registered Users

What a shame. It does seem an extreme reaction from the trainer. I hope you can find a better class or different sport that you can enjoy together.

SteffiS likes this.
  11. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Exactly my thoughts from my agility experience.

SteffiS likes this.
  12. Cath

Cath Registered Users

Don't get upset :hug:

SteffiS likes this.
  13. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Everybody's comments have made me feel better. I'm not going to take her up on the single 121 she offered, apart from anything else she actually said I would need to pay extra - so I'm just asking for my money back.

@SwampDonkey she is very inexperienced as a businesswoman and also with labradors. She competes with small dogs and definitely favours those and Collies.

@UncleBob :D

Rosie, Karen and SwampDonkey like this.
  14. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I'm not surprised! I would too!

Perhaps she prefers the easier option. It would certainly add to her training if she rose to the labrador challenge! ;)

Seriously, though, it might be worth taking up her offer of the 121 session(s), especially as you've paid for the course. It could help Ripple to finish (if necessary) on a more positive note, rather than being banned.

15. Inky lab

Inky lab Registered Users

I'd be angry and hurt like you sound @SteffiS. What's the point of a training class if all the dogs can already do it. The trainer sounds rubbish, how could she prefer small dogs and collies over labs!

SteffiS likes this.
  16. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

It sounds like she may have acted quite impetuously on the complaint, there's every chance she's regretting acting so quickly, and not great business for her if she is so swayed by others' comments. Imagine if every dog trainer banned a dog because another owner got annoyed... There wouldn't be a Labrador allowed anywhere!

In summary, she's wrong, you're entitled to be peed off, and Ripple is ace. And you're a fab knitter:D

UncleBob, Rosie, Karen and 2 others like this.
  17. QuinnM15

:cwl:

18. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

I think she only offered a 121 so she didn't have to return any money, and she did say I would need to top it up. I can't go back as I feel she is being unfair and I wouldn't be able to take instruction from her, also if she made any criticism of Ripple I would find it hard to separate that from what has already gone on.

Granca likes this.
  19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

There should be no criticism of a dog in any training scenario. A criticism of the mess we’ve made of our dogs, sure, but the dog is just a dog. No more, no less. It is what it is. If you can’t train it (or the owner!) then that’s your failure. It is never the dog that’s at fault. It sounds like this person would do well to realise that.

Jes72, UncleBob, Rosie and 2 others like this.
  20. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Seeing as she's the one whos stopped your class participation she needs to return your money. She is very unprofessional

Jes72, Joy, pup-pup and 2 others like this.