The Labradors first Paw Dip into the world of triathlon....

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by debsie, Jun 19, 2013.

1. debsie

debsie Registered Users

Very proud of C and B today. took them to their very first proper running session last night, with my triathlon club. they have run with me and pals before, but never gone to a proper running session with people they don't know, where they would have to be On Their Best Behaviour....they were sooooooo good. the session organiser spent a bit of time at the start explaining what we were going to do to do, and they sat beautifully bolt upright with their ears very up listening to her intently. They then did the whole session with everyone, it involved numerous laps of a grassy track, changing pace, doing some hill sprints, and having some rests inbetween the laps. I put them on Down Waits for the rests, and they lay down next to us all panting and eager to go again, but staying put as told, changed pace beautifully with the humans, and went for it on the hill sprints with full gusto! the only slight problem was they wanted to lick the sweat off everyone's legs at the end ::). what made it even more praiseworthy was the session was held right next to Teeming With Rabbits Hill, and Brodick, Man of Rabbit Hunting, didn't even GLANCE in its direction he was that focused on his run training! he did try to run holding my shorts (that I was wearing) in his mouth bless him, had to be given a water bottle to hold instead :D.

on the way home I let them let off steam and run riot through the hills off lead, and they had an enormous celebratory WWF mud wrestle in a bog. Full baths at home and chaos to clean up but couldn't grudge them it. Good puppies!

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: The Labradors first Paw Dip into the world of triathlon....

Sounds like an absolutely brilliant session for all concerned!! What good dogs!! Glad you sorted out that short holding thing early in the piece though. It sounds like C and B may become a regular feature at training?

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

oh my , that sounds like great fun , well done to your two , you must be feeling very proud of them and rightly so ;D

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh that's brilliant! What a great way to combine your dogs with your hobby! And it sounds like this might be The Cure for Brodick's hunting proclivities...

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

and they sat beautifully bolt upright with their ears very up listening to her intently

Oh the picture that brings to my mind,what lovely dogs.

I put them on Down Waits for the rests, and they lay down next to us all panting and eager to go again, but staying put as told.

This is aspirational to me Debsie .....as I try and get to Dex just to stay in a sit when I open the front door!

The mud wrestle was a well deserved treat for sure,what a lovely time you all had together x

Angela

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Forgot to say...the cycling element?your 2 padding alongside you?...the lushest,cutest thing in the world ;D

7. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Good for you and yay for the dogs!! It's so nice they can share that with you!

8. David

David Registered Users

All I can say is WOW!

9. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

whooo well done :)

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That sounds brilliant - well done to all three of you!
    :)

11. debsie

debsie Registered Users

hee hee Angela I'm just thinking of biking through the countryside with brodick....if there was a deer or rabbit in front I reckon he could hit over thirty mph... think they will be a regular feature of run training, and open water swim training hopefully next summer if Brodick keeps improving around wildlife, and can be trusted to not leave the loch at high speed after a hare. would be quite hard to chase after him in a tight wetsuit.......

12. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh please chase Brods in a wetsuit with someone video-ing it so we can all see. Please. Would be a YouTube sensation to rival Fenton and the deer....