The Left Pawed Thread

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by David, Aug 15, 2013.

1. David

David Registered Users

Well having watched the Secret Lives of Dogs I've checked Lady out and as you would expect she is a left hooker. Sort of explains a lot really if the documentary is correct on that point. Can't find even 1 swirl on her anywhere though (re clockwise versus anti-clockwise swirls). I'm left handed too by the way - is that the ultimate in empathy.

So is your dog a left hooker or a right hooker and does it fit the profile ie right hooker compliant and docile. Left hooker free thinking and dificult. ;D

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: The Left Pawed Thread

Swirl found - it's anti-clockwise.

3. lynnelogan

lynnelogan Registered Users

i have a right hooker, he swirls clockwise and anti clockwise :)..........

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Obi is lying asleep on all his whorls at the moment so I can't check. But he is right pawed. Docile? No, not really. But he's not a total rebel either.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I honestly can't detect a direction to the swirls. On his chest, he has two - one is anticlockwise, the other clockwise - if anything, they are not very even in direction. Where are you checking the swirls?

Can't check out the right and left paw thing, he is having a bouncy morning and doing a tigger impression....boing boing

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dexter has only got 2 clockwise swirls at the top of his hind legs Julie .....and they are a lighter color than the rest of him so show up quite easily.They are more prominent now he is older and he is a leftie......never noticed before but 8/10 of his sit/ releases he has just done say he is a leftie in my self conducted scientific survey :eek:

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

OK, must see if I can catch this program as I have no idea what you are all talking about!!! ;D

8. Dexter

I've just watched it again (3rd time now ;D) Endle's story makes me cry every time,won't tell you Karen,watch the program ,you will really enjoy it x

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh Karen it was on before on ITV and I think you said your couldn't get it in Germany. If you can it's well worth a watch, Endle got me for the second time too :'( :'( Helen x

10. Dexter

Karen,go through it on YouTube.....David posted the link....I think it's in the thread tonight's tv.....I'll look for you x

11. Dexter

12. David

David Registered Users

That's ok. It can be a bit emotional in places and I found some parts quite difficult to watch (that's bloke speak for bring me the tissues), especially as it reminded me of getting Lady in the first place and how my daughter (who had Lady from a tiny puppy) was quite right when she said Lady would be very good for me - and she has been.

Re dogs doing people watching, I don't know what your dogs are like but Lady tracks me all the time from as soon as I appear in a room or the garden until I go out of sight. If she can, she follows and plonks down beside me even if she was quite comfortable before. She's a funny little soul like that.

13. Dexter

Dex is the same David.....he would still come into the toilet if I let him (I do sometimes!sshhhhh!)
    I couldn't even complete the total recall exercise where you call them away from food as he was on his way over to me before I even blew the whistle and I've got an open plan house downstairs so trying to do it from another room was tricky too.I had to sneak into the downstairs loo or bedroom while he was asleep....or go upstairs and wait for Chris to text me that he'd lain back down......makes you wonder why I worry about his recall so much.....but he isn't as focused when we leave the house.........he can dump me a bit for all the more interesting things! ;D

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Angela.....Lilly is just the same.
    Can't go to the loo without her following.
    Plonks herself on the shower mat when I am in the shower.
    Go get changed, she's there.
    Go make something in the kitchen - guess?

Give her a whiff of wildlife....whoosh!....don't see her for dust :-\

15. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh wow, thanks for the link! I loved it, watched it with my daughter on her last evening here...

16. David

David Registered Users

I thought Martin Clunes commentary was lovely.

17. Dexter

Hope you've had a lovely time together Karen,glad you enjoyed the program.i enjoyed it so much more these last 2 times because Dexter was here,lying on my feet ......not just a photo stuck up on the fridge!safe journey home to your daughter and hope you feel ok when she leaves,I've just left my Mum and I know she finds it hard.The world is a very small place now though ;D

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Thanks Angela. I will see her again next week, as she is going to be visiting family in the UK and I am going to be there for a few days too, so parting tomorrow won't be too hard. But she leaves for Boston on Tuesday... :(

I was a bit surprised about the guide dog having puppies at 18 months, that seemed very young to me... Is that normal, for breeding of guide dogs??

19. Dexter

I can't answer that for you Karen....and guess what ?I know nothing about bitches and breeding...... ;D my brain can just about process 'need to knows ' with this dog lark.....things like that come under 'like to know' and I only absorb those details subconsciously!x

20. David

David Registered Users

Coming back to the whorls issue - I've just realised that each side of Lady is a mirror image of the other so the litttle whorls on her chest go clockwise one side and anti-clockwise the other. She's still left pawed though.