The not so social, social butterfly.

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Heather Kaufman, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Heather Kaufman

Heather Kaufman Registered Users

Hello! Looking for a bit of advice! We have a two year old Australian Terrier (he is quite a social butterfly and quite the happy go lucky guy!) While walking on leash he is fabulous UNTIL he sees another dog approaching. He lays down in a very stalker-like fashion. He will not heel or get up from this position until the other dog has either passed (to which he responds with a very energetic mission to carry on the walk pulling me and sometimes extends a couple of yip yips) or if the dog approaches him he will happily smell and say hello and then get quite agitated (to which I pick him up and remove him from the situation.) How should I be addressing this? In the few times it is not an issue I do praise him but it seems forgotten on the next walk. He is walked 3 x a day.

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi there ,welcome to the Forum.
    I have a few issues with my dog on lead.It's important to understand what exactly is going on,the fact that you saying 'lies down in a stalker-like fashion' implies you are recognising it's not the lie down you see when a dog is doing it to show he's not a threat and is happy for the other dog to approach? What is the 'agitation' when a greeting does take place? Is it greeting frustration when he's on lead or something else? It might be as wise to consult a trainer or behaviourist to get to the bottom of things .
    I had a very lead reactive period with my dog,he could end up in the position you are describing .....I Called in a Trainer as I was out of my depth ,Dexter is our first dog.The lie down if it's followed a chain of events like a stalk,lowering of the head ,staring is bad and is to be avoided.You need to interrupt before it gets to that point.By The time the dog lies down ,he's over threshold and isn't listening to you and probably won't be taking food from you either so it's really hard to regain his attention.
    How do you train? Do you use food ? Depending on what is actually going on there are lots of things you can do. You can reward your dog for looking at the other dog calmly ,there is an excercise in Control Unleashed Leslie McDevitt called Look at That. You can use a clicker or a verbal marker to mark your dog looking at the other dog and then feed him the treat.....this helps with a dog who is anxious about meeting other dogs in lead,which my dog is .On the other hand your dog could just be a bit of a frustrated greeter,he wants to get to every dog he sees ? In this case distance is your friend ,you need to start getting calm behaviour and attention on you before you get closer to the other dog ,gradually decreasing the distance until you can walk calmly past the other on lead dog.You can start this in an open space where dogs aren't allowed off lead ,just rewarding for attention on you when your dog sees the other dogs in the area..
    I hope this helps a little? It's difficult reading about what's happening to you but not seeing it as lead interactions can be uncomfortable for a lot of dogs.
    Best Wishes
    Angela

Heather Kaufman likes this.
  3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Heather.
    Behaviour isn't my thing. I did wonder how he behaves with other dogs when off lead?

Just really wanted to say hello and welcome!
    What is your boy called?

jac

nice box and Heather Kaufman like this.
  4. Heather Kaufman

This was GREAT information. He does train well for food. He has always been a good "walker" (with the exception of this issue) that I never thought to treat to correct this behavior. Timing will be everything but definitely worth a go! Makes perfect sense! Thank you again!!!

5. Heather Kaufman

Cute pup!! My buddy is named Bacon, he is an Australian Terrier

drjs@5 likes this.