The Send-away or Directed Jumping

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Oberon, May 23, 2014.

1. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

At the moment I am working on training Obi to do the Send-away (aka Directed Jumping), which is an obedience exercise. The dog has to start at the heel position, then run out 25 metres and sit in a square, white frame, then return to the handler over a bar jump or a solid jump on either side of the ring, whichever the handler points to (directed by the judge).

This is what sitting in the square frame looks like (this is my home-made frame...the real thing is a bit bigger)

[​IMG]

Obi is going ok with it, but he doesn't fully understand that he has to sit in the square frame. Sometimes he stops on the way. Sometimes he stops and barks. Sometimes he makes it but sits outside the frame. Sometimes he does it perfectly. We are only reliable at a distance of a few metres. We are progressing beyond that a millimetre at a time.

One challenge is that Obi is really precise in his interpretation of visual cues. At first I was using a cue that was an outstretched hand with a finger pointing at the square. But that is too much like other things we get him to do ("get out of the kitchen", "go over there", "your toy is behind the chair!" etc etc etc). So he was getting confused with that - do you want me to just move away or what??

So I switched to a new signal which is an outstretched hand with a closed fist. We don't use this for anything else and so its meaning is clearer. But I still have to make sure I am 100% consistent, which is hard. Obi demands utter repeatability, which is good for me I guess ::)

Another thing we are doing is using a target that he has been trained to sit at. The target is smaller and the concept of sitting near it is easier to grasp (for him anyway) than the concept of sitting in a weird white square. I use a small block of white painted wood as my target and I taught him to sit at it using free shaping:
    - put target on the ground
    - click and treat for movement towards target (tossing treat away so dog moves away from target which creates another chance to move towards it)
    - repeat a few times
    - raise the bar and expect even more movement towards target...C&T...and so on until the dog is next to the target and then eventually sitting at the target (once the dog is reliably sitting at the target I give the treat in that position to reinforce the value of the target).

Here is Obi going to sit at his target (once with a verbal marker and once with a click marker)

https://flic.kr/p/nEYizN

The next step is to add the target to the white square. Cue sitting at the target. C&T for that. Eventually you want to remove the target from the square and just have the dog going to the square. That is also shown in this video. You'll see in the vid that he goes to pick up the target (he's not 100% sure that he's not meant to retrieve it....).

https://flic.kr/p/nJNmRa

We are also practising this out at the dog obedience club with the real equipment, on grass. That involves adding jumps into the equation as well. I'll go out to the dog club later to take some pics of Obi there :) We are a lot shakier out in the real world :)

2. Oberon

Re: The Send-away or Directed Jumping

Watching those vids I realise that I need to give my visual cue (hand cue) down lower to his face....not a metre above his head.

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Rachael thankyou! This will help me no end.........I trained Dexter to target a blue disc in preparation for agility but the trainer told me to use my closed fist I'll revisit this with a different coloured target and verbal cue ,you can see it really makes sense to Obi,he's a great boy x

4. Oberon

I'm glad it was helpful! :D

We went out to the dog club this afternoon to use the equipment there. There were three GSPs free running in the ring to the left and three Border Collies doing agility (and barking) in the ring to the right, so Obi was in a very chatty mood and had to precede everything with a woof ::) I just ignored it and pressed on.

Here is the arrangement we started with.

[​IMG]

The first time I sent him out to the square I used the wrong cue. I said 'box' instead of 'target' because the square is actually known as a box and that's the cue everyone else uses...I don't use it (when I get it right!!) because there is a box in Flyball as well and I use 'box' for that. Anyway, I got my visual (hand) cue right so he went with that and ignored my verbal cue. I won't post the video of that stuff up because I might have accidentally said a rude word...

Anyway, in the vid below we both get it right. I'm sending him from about 5 metres, with the target in the square.

https://flic.kr/p/nJWQqn

After a few goes at that we added the jumps. It's good to get to the stage where you can add in the jumps (you need to build up a little bit of distance first) because then the jumping is a reward for getting the 'send away' bit right. Obi likes jumping so it is definitely a reward for him.

At first I have the jumps close together, so he can't run through the middle. I send him over the solid jump, which he does. It looks a bit like he anticipates my cue and goes early but that's because I give my hand cue a bit sooner than my verbal cue and he's responding to that (actually that is a bad habit because a judge can fail to notice your visual cue and think, as it appears in this vid, that the dog jumped the gun). I don't mark his arrival at the square here because the mark ends the behaviour chain and in this case he is not meant to be finished until he goes over the jump (he does get some 'encouragement award' treats though).

https://flic.kr/p/nqF7we

Here we are doing the same thing but I send him over the bar jump (which he knocks over, but I am not worried about that at this stage).

https://flic.kr/p/nqF5re

Here I've moved the jumps further apart. There is more room for error, but he gets both jumps right. On the second go he stops short of the square but then backs into it - I go over and give him a handful of treats for that because he figured it out for himself that he had to be in the square.

https://flic.kr/p/nGSufk

So, we made some good progress :) Using the target has definitely helped him to 'get' it.

So, from here we need to build up the distance at which I send him. Eventually it has to be 25 metres, between the two jumps. Going between the jumps will be a challenge for him as he will want to leap over the jumps because he likes it (and I have taught him in Flyball to always go over all the jumps on the way out and back....). Once he gets the idea that he is only meant to go over the jumps on the way back that will be a breakthrough moment.

We also have to eventually have the jumps a lot further apart.

5. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

He looks like he is doing great Rachel. I will have to come have some lessons with you.

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Going to have a go at a send away this weekend. If the results are not too embarrassing, I'll do a vid of my efforts - get some tips from you. And hints on the early training of it?

7. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Obi is so handsome sitting in his square Rachael. I know that's not the point of the exercise but still. ;) .he really flies over those jumps he obviously enjoys it. What height are the jumps and do you increase the height at all ?

Ok I'm off to find some wood and make a square. I wonder if it matters if it's not quite at right angles or has straight sides. ;)

8. Oberon

Annette, you could join our club too and then you could use the grounds - the facilities are pretty good :D

Julie, I'll do a video of shaping the 'send away' bit :)

Jen, he does look very proud when he sits in the square, LOL. To be honest I'm not sure of the right jump height. Must check that out :) I had the jumps set at about 50cm. I find that he likes it better and is faster if he has to take a big leap. If the jump height is lower he is a bit slower. But we certainly did start at a much lower height - 20cm.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=6165.msg80771#msg80771 date=1400853341]
    Ok I'm off to find some wood and make a square. I wonder if it matters if it's not quite at right angles or has straight sides. ;)
    [/quote]

Up for a bank holiday send away training challenge Jen? See how much we can do before Monday?

Oh no! WHAT am I saying! A training challenge involving my hooligan is bound to be a nightmare. Oh well, no-one will care if we're rubbish! ;D ;D ;D

Haven't got a square. If I use a mat it's cheating as he'll already go to that. Umm...well, I'll improvise somehow.

10. Oberon

Hula hoop like Angela uses?

You can make them out of PVC plumbing pipe and right-angle connecters if you decide to get fancy. Or just start with a small target, for which you can use a plastic lid or drink coaster.

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Just seen Angela's thread - send away weekend it is!

I don't have a hula hoop - but there is a DIY store just down the road. I'll pick something up if I can't find anything in the shed. The shed is large, and very full of junk, so I reckon I'll manage.

12. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this- really interesting and helpful. And well done lovely Obi :)

13. Jen

Jen Registered Users

My square is not exactly what you'd call square more a rombus. ::)

You might describe Charlie as a hooligan Julie but I have two hooligans so I've even more of a handicap. ;)

This afternoon the target kept being brought back. Think I need to watch the vids again. ;D

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

No! You've started already! I was on a train all afternoon! ;D

Yes, I was thinking if I send him to an object, he'll do nothing but retrieve it. Square included! Hmmm....

15. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I don't think it could be classed as started Julie. ;D

Let me know when you start. I need to do some modification to my square anyway. It's not exactly portable due to the fact it will probably collapse. Duct tape should fix it. ::)

PS. I have a technical question what does 25m between the two jumps mean ? Am I just being dense ? Is it the gap between the two jumps or the gap between the square and the jump. (possibly a bit of an advanced question but I was just wondering and trying some tactics Julie might think I'm way ahead shh don't tell her ;))

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=6165.msg80920#msg80920 date=1400875239]
    trying some tactics Julie might think I'm way ahead shh don't tell her ;))
    [/quote]

Intimidation tactics! ;D ;D :D you've got your two jumping already!

17. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Jumping with fear we are experts at. ;D. Jumping over poles we'd win a limbo competition.

Good luck and let the games begin. ;)

18. Oberon

So the 25m refers to the distance between where you send the dog from and the square. The jumps are halfway between this (so, at 12.5 metres) and the gap between the jumps is 6 metres. The solid jump and the bar jump can be on either the left or right. The height of the jumps has to be at least the shoulder height of the dog. I'll draw a diagram later :) I'll make sure Julie doesn't see it.

Picking up a target.....we had to deal with that too (my target has tooth marks..). Start pretty close to the target and step on it if your dog tries to pick it up. Also, don't ever C&T when the dog has picked up the target. Only increase the distance when the dog is reliably sitting next to the target, not picking it up. Make sure your hand signal is clearly different to your retrieve cue. Other ideas welcome!!! :)

19. Oberon

Diagram :)

[​IMG]

20. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

That's awesome. Thanks Rachel.