The Send-away or Directed Jumping

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Oberon, May 23, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: The Send-away or Directed Jumping

A very slow 2m! I want to go do another session, see if we can speed up, but he looks bushed. Poor boy, he still gets tired sometimes. He had an extra walk to the garden centre to buy geraniums, and there were just so many new people to say hello to, it was exhausting work!

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So moved to leerdammer for his second session. I thought I was videoing the end of it, but hadn't pressed record! ::)

Well, the leerdammer speeded things up no end! But mainly his return to heel (heading back towards the cheese) rather than the send away. ;D

He was just a tad reluctant to move away from the cheese (in my pocket), although did go to his place from about 4m but slowly, with few glances back at the cheese pocket! ;D "If I move away from the cheese you'll give me some? Okaaaaay.....".

I think I think I'll ask for speed but not distance for session 3.

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

How do you get speed ? ???

I have a lovely image of Charlie's face looking back at you expectantly for cheese. ;D

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

He was as plain as day looking for the cheese! Trots off, and a Charlie think bubble appears "hang on, I'm moving away from the cheese! How mad is that? Oh no, hang on, I sit on the towel and then I get the cheese" - carry on trotting. ;D ;D ;D

For speed, I reckon I'll move closer again, do heel - place - heel reps and when he gets it, reward the fast places. That might take me two goes though. Plus, I can get him more excited about it - I'm so used to keeping him calm, so he doesn't hurt his leg, but it's easy enough to get him a bit excited in the game. I just go OTT when he does what I want.

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Isn't it lovely you can do proper stuff with him again. ;D

I shall have to make more of a concerted effort tomorrow. I think we are getting the idea. Although I've no distance they are sitting on it on cue just about. ::). Perhaps if I can speed up the sit on the board from next to it then add distance it will start off faster from distance.

Wishful thinking. ;D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Jen link=topic=6165.msg81362#msg81362 date=1400960395]
    Isn't it lovely you can do proper stuff with him again. ;D
    [/quote]

Yeah, really, really lovely. This is the first thing we've done. :) :) :)

Have to get a board sorted!

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This morning I did a bit of free shaping using a hula hoop (a pretty small one....too small really). This is one way you can go about teaching a dog to 'target' an object by sitting on, in or beside it.

The aim was to get Obi to sit in the hoop. To get there, the plan was to initially C&T any movement towards the hoop, then gradually raising the bar to C&T 'as good or better' responses so that eventually he was sitting in the hoop. You'd generally C&T 3 or 4 'as good as the last one' responses then wait for something a fraction better before C&Ting again. No C&T for 'worst than last time' responses.

It can be a bit tricky as you have to get your timing right (I won't claim to be perfect there!!!), your dog has to 'get' the fact that they need to voluntarily offer behaviours and they need to have enough perseverance to keep trying even when you don't seem to be paying up. As has been suggested by others on other threads - practice with a simple trick first, like touching your hand with their nose, or putting a foot in a cardboard box. The really good thing about shaping is they have to use their brain, and when they get it they really get it because they have figured it out themselves (with your help :) ).

I haven't done a lot of free shaping with Obi. The first video is typical of a dog that knows you want them to do something, but they can't for the life of them figure out what. He gets a click for walking through the hoop, but he doesn't really know what the click was for. He tries other things....flop on his side, roll over, lie down, bark (and he shakes and whines because he's confused)... You'll see that I had an opportunity to shape 'commando roll and sit' in the hoop because he tried that a couple of times (as he got a click for landing in the hoop the first time) ;D

https://flic.kr/p/nrQZLz

We had a little break and I played with and pushed the hoop around to draw his attention to it and moved it to a different spot.

https://flic.kr/p/nrQQ5k

Now that he's pretty much got it we start to add a cue.

https://flic.kr/p/nrQr3w

The next step would be to use the cue a bit earlier, before he's approaching the hoop, and then to increase the distance.

8. Oberon

After our class this morning hubby got a couple of vids of the send away so you can see the 'bigger picture'.

Going over the bar jump. The jumps are further apart than before here so my cue is very exaggerated.

https://flic.kr/p/nrQNTd

In this one he goes over the solid jump. When I move he almost takes off before he gets a cue to jump, but he doesn't, so I go and give him a treat for making the right decision not to move.

https://flic.kr/p/nrQQw3

From this point it's just building up the distance and reducing the size of the visual cue. I am now able to send him to the square from behind the jumps (about a metre back from being level with them). He hasn't shown any tendency (so far) to go over them on the way up to the square so that is good! :D

Every so often in training I will go back to him to give him a treat while he is sitting in the square, so he doesn't start to go over the jump without waiting for me to cue him. One thing I won't ever ask him to do is a straight recall from the square - he has to think that he always has to go over a jump, even if he doesn't know which one.

9. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Haha Milly was set off barking when she heard Obi bark on your video.

This is how we have been doing our mat training and play ball. I love the way they react to the frustration. They know you want something but can't quite figure it out. ;) Milly will try all the things we have been training for, sit, down, stand etc. it's funny to watch.

10. Oberon

Yeah, it's so funny, isn't it. ;D When Obi throws himself to the ground that's his 'bang, play dead' trick.

Some dogs are not very willing to persevere and for them you need to do a lot of really easy and fun things to build up their confidence, otherwise they will just give up. You want to make their brain work, but you don't want to make it too hard to get a 'win'.

11. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Brilliant demo of free-shaping, Rachael, thanks!

I'm loving watching your vids with my morning cuppa :) :)

12. Oberon

Thankyou! Happy to be the breakfast entertainment :)

13. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Gosh - this is really fascinating!! Thank you for posting, Rachael!

14. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Obi is just brilliant. Especially with that yappy dog in the background. His posture is so proud while he's waiting for instructions.

I can imagine scout managing it but scott has a tendency to look around him and look bored. ::)

I haven't done any free shaping really except a bit of touch target. My two seem to need a cue. They seem to pick up a new cue quickly with the clicker. I tend to lure and introduce a cue nearly straight away. I probably just haven't persevered with free shaping and I don't think my timing is very good. :-\ . Also obviously I need them one to one to free shape where as lure then cue I do one to one but they are also very good at waiting their turn and sounds daft but I think they learn from each other.

Best get practising. ;D

15. Oberon

Nothing wrong with luring as long as you switch to a cue (turn the lure into a hand signal) and reward (deliver food after the behaviour) after half a dozen goes. Luring is a quick and effective way to show the dog exactly what you want :)

Glad to guys are finding it interesting!! It's definitely made me think about what I'm doing, posting this and watching myself on vid - eek!!

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

This is all very brill! Thanks Rachael! Very inspiring!

And for all the other beginners, here is me and Chalie not looking anything like as pro as Rachael and Obi with the hula hoop!

I had a very interesting time with Charlie this morning. It was raining, and we moved inside. I had my clicker and kibble - and he thought we were playing "find it". This is because for months, we've played find it inside. So it was very, very tedious waiting for him to figure out we weren't playing find it. He searched for ages, looked at me, decided what I wanted was him to search again....

Then, as we got back to the subject of the towel, throwing a treat resulted in another game of find it in which the whole carpet had to be searched for toys or treats! Ok, no more find it....

Anyway, we eventually got that we were not playing find it, the change of location means we wiped out everything we did yesterday, so the cue and the hand signal meant nothing again - back to the start and this is all I got at the end (paint dry compared to Obi's entertaining efforts!:(

(Just to make the vids even more boring, they wouldn't upload in a single go in Flickr ::) )

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123706979@N04/14264301345/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/123706979@N04/14241353536/

(Sorry for dreadful quality one handed iPad video).

17. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Julie. I think he did great. I love watching him think it through. He totally new you wanted something and he was really thinking about how to give you what you wanted. You did great. He looks so call and calm. Lol

18. Oberon

That was hilarious ;D Annette is exactly right - it went really well. You clicked all the right things and just waited. He was thinking about it without a doubt. Nicely done!!!!!

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Nothing to add as I'm having to work today instead of training my dog :(

Except I'm loving this thread (especially the vids) and can't wait til I get some boards !! ;D

20. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Charlie is fabulous. ;D

I think he was thinking 'WHY' . ::)

The videos are helping me loads. Thanks. I think we can safely say unless we make an unexpected surge you've won this challenge. Although there is still one more day so you never know. ;)