The Send-away or Directed Jumping

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Oberon, May 23, 2014.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: The Send-away or Directed Jumping

[quote author=Jen link=topic=6165.msg81546#msg81546 date=1401018592]

I think he was thinking 'WHY' . ::)

[/quote]

"What? No treat? But I'm sat down away from you! I'll sit here a bit longer....nope...I'll sit closer then....I'll go back on the floor...oh, the towel thingy!"

Bless him!

;D ;D ;D

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I had a chuckle your panning round to show him sat on the couch and then back to the lonely towel!good start,I'll,try and get a video of us on tomorrow,got the house to ourselves again so hopefully can get cracking x

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Results of our three day send away challenge. ::)

We have a cue word now. ;D

Distance is a bit iffy. :(. Near enough 100% from 3m for both dogs. 5m almost there. ::)

I'm wondering once I've got 5m sorted should I up distraction or keep increasing distance ?

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I declare you the winner Jen! I have a 100% medium fast sit on towel cue (place) from one dog at 3m!

;D ;D ;D

5. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Let's settle on a draw and see how long it takes us to get to double figures in distance. ;D ;D :D

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Done! ;D

Are you going to try the place boards? Was thinking I'd have a go....

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

O! Sorry! Rachael: THANK YOU! :) :) :)

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Haha, no worries :)

Jen, I'd probably take it outdoors now but reduce the distance to 1 metre. You will probably be able to build up again quickly.

With the decision to use a target or place board in addition to a square....the square already is a target or place board equivalent. If your dog is getting it without a target there is no need to add yet another object. But some dogs (like Obi) seem to find the concept of sitting within an outline a bit hard to grasp. So for them it can be a help to add a solid thing like a smaller target to sit beside or a place board to sit on.

If you use a target that is separate to the square you eventually need to fade it out. This can be tricky if the dog has come to believe that it's all about the target/place board and not the square. So don't keep relying on the target/board for too long, once it's clear to you that the dog is very consistent about going in the square (even if you haven't built up a lot of distance yet). Remove the target and reward the first few successes without the target very heavily.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I was wondering what the "end game", the practical purpose of this, may be. It must be, I think, to be able to send a dog out, in a chosen direction, without the expectation of a retrieve, and then have him follow direction from any point?

I can see how handy I would be to be able to send Charlie out in a fast, straight, line then ask him to stop, search (not necessarily for a dummy, maybe a scent). I suppose stop and direction on the retrieve achieves the same thing? Maybe not though, it's maybe handy it's not always about retrieving?

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Thank you Rachael we've had fun this weekend and thank you Julie and charlie for being the motivatin. ;D

I shall have a go outside tomorrow and see what happens. ::)

I think I will give the place board a go Julie. It wouldn't hurt my two to improve on delivery and steadiness.

10m here we come. ;)

11. Oberon

Julie, as an obedience exercise, the end point is just being able to do it (maybe to get a title) :) But all obedience exercises are stylised versions of something that's useful in the real world, and it's the kind of thing you mentioned. Being able to have your dog go away from you to await further instructions and, then, to clear the obstacle you have judged to be better, safer or more in the direction of travel. It's definitely not all about retrieving, though there are stylised gundog exercises in obedience trialling (plain old retrieve, or retrieve over a jump or directed retrieving where the dog has to get one of three objects (the judge indicates which object)). But there are also exercises that are about tracking and searching (retrieving the object that the handler has most recently touched, or the seek back where the dog finds a dropped object on a path) or about tolerating being handled (stand stay done as a group while the judge moves along the line of dogs and extensively touches each one) or about steadiness (out of sight stays) or just jumping without retrieving.

There is a lot of fun stuff to do in obedience :)

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks Rachael! Maybe I'll look into doing some obedience stuff, I'm sure it's fun. (Our gundog stuff is just for fun too - we'll never go shooting).

13. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Wow, you guys did great, very inspiring!

I'm presently waiting for a very sloooowww flickr upload of my pitiful "fetch" vid...two kids streaming stuff on their computers right now so it is taking forever to upload. Sigh.

Oh well, you'll just have to wait to see my pitiful mucking about.... :p

14. Oberon

Happy to wait and good on you for posting a vid!! :)

15. Jen

Jen Registered Users

[quote author=Oberon link=topic=6165.msg82331#msg82331 date=1401140489]
    about tolerating being handled (stand stay done as a group while the judge moves along the line of dogs and extensively touches each one)
    [/quote]

;D ;D ;D. Never in a million years !!!! ;D ;D ;D

There is much more to obedience than I realised. For some reason I didn't think there would be such fun stuff. ::). We are certainly having fun doing the send away. Once we've cracked that we will try something else. Probably not the extensive touching by a judge on though. ;)

16. Oberon

LOL, no, not an exercise made for Scott and Scout ;D

17. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6165.msg82295#msg82295 date=1401137197]
    I was wondering what the "end game", the practical purpose of this, may be. It must be, I think, to be able to send a dog out, in a chosen direction, without the expectation of a retrieve, and then have him follow direction from any point?

I can see how handy I would be to be able to send Charlie out in a fast, straight, line then ask him to stop, search (not necessarily for a dummy, maybe a scent). I suppose stop and direction on the retrieve achieves the same thing? Maybe not though, it's maybe handy it's not always about retrieving?
    [/quote]

I think I might have muddied the water a bit by throwing a place board into this thread. (Sorry, Rachael!) I don't usually use it to train something like a send away but when I saw Rachael's video I had a quick impromptu session doing something similar with Murffi and a place board. For the sort of scenario you describe Julie there are much better exercises in gundog training terms. Pippa's recent article about retrieve markers covers that. I am still learning about place boards and their uses myself and currently use them just for steadiness, delivery and long sit/stays. :)

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ok here's our effort today.....be kind ;D
    We haven't done this for a week and last week I was doing it in the garden so I've changed location which was silly of me and he also knew I'd dropped a treat when I was trying to film myself,which I've discovered I can't do very well.So I recruited a camerawoman and this is how we did.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97066992@N03/14094662189/

He follows my hand signal more than my verbal cue.Ill do a couple more sessions today without changing anything to hopefully overcome the fact that I moved location for this .oh and our heel position is sloppy ( useful to see yourself isn't it :D horrible to hear yourself :-[)

And here he is just being handsome ;)

[​IMG]
    image by dexterpops02, on Flickr

19. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

He is very handsome! You have done great!

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

At work so can't watch Dex's vid! Will do so as soon as I get home though. Lovely boy!