The Send-away or Directed Jumping

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by Oberon, May 23, 2014.

1. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Re: The Send-away or Directed Jumping

So handsome. ;D

Dex did really well Angela. I particularly liked the bit were he looked at the camera then as if he'd remembered he was being filmed sat nicely in the hoop. ;D ;D

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

He is soooooo handsome ;D

Looks like he was getting the hang of it. I liked how he tried stepping in the hoop, then sat outside it, then tried sitting in it .....working through the options till he got his treat :D

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's excellent, Angela, a lovely demonstration!!! :D Your timing with the clicker is good.

Heidrun, the place board discussion has been very relevant and it's certainly given me something to think about as I hadn't previously considered that there may be so many other applications of targeting. Also your point about the value of a raised platform providing a really clear boundary for the dog - that's been very interesting to consider too. A lot of obedience people struggle with teaching the retrieve and it's the delivery that's the problem - I think that using the place board idea would very helpful.

4. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah thanks all,we did a few more tries today,I've got a new treat bag so I don't have to hold my clicker in my hand signal hand ( it's amazing what you see when you get video'd) i stopped having a treat pouch for in the house because if he got bored or I bent over he'd try to mug me!

5. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

I have been having a go at this with Milly at home. She has the concept and goes to the hoop but she instantly drops. I would like her to go sit in it but she drops straight away. How do I change that without her getting bored and giving up. I tried to wait it out but she lost interest and just gave up. She is usually pretty long suffering when food is on offer but obviously not as much as I had hoped. I think some off the problem may be my signal is the same as what I use for our mat training in which I do want her to lie down on the mat. Different voice command though. Should I now just position her how I want or try another hand signal from the start. Any suggestions?

6. Oberon

If you want her to sit then I'd probably re-teach it but using luring - so use a bit of food to lure her into the hoop in a sit, and click as soon as that bottom hits the ground. Lure a few times then put the food into your other hand and use it as a reward (with the original hand as the signal/cue hand). Reward heavily for sits. Gradually increase the distance.

Think up a different hand signal, using the other hand to the one you use to send her to the mat. No doubt that is the main issue :) They pretty much always do what our hands are doing and ignore the voice if there's a contradiction (to them). Variations on hand movements are pointing or closed fists or hand with fingers together in a vertical plane and elbow bent (though that's usually for sending out on a retrieve).

Let us know how you go :)

7. AnnetteB

AnnetteB Registered Users

Thanks Rachael. I will have a go. :)

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

hurrah! Seen Dex's vid!

Good boy Dex! And nice clicking Angela! Very nice indeed!

9. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Looks great, Angela!! And I finally had a moment to go back to Rachel's free shaping vids - I love the shower if treats when he gets it right.

Gonna have to find a hoop or something to give it a go.... :D

10. Puppypal

Puppypal Registered Users

Thought i might dust this thread off.

I have been working on puzzle's send away latley and thought of this thread.

I have taught her a slightly different way for her send away. I use a post instead of a square on the floor. I taught her that way i did as she is a known cone knockerover AKA cone destroyer as she has been nicknamed at our training club.

The way i have taught her for her sendaway is to go out, then go around the post to the right and stop in a down when she is facing me so her right shoulder is against the post.

We have tried many different things for sendaways, and have different commands and different object we use.
    We use a rubber grooming glove to the command 'sendaway' which is a simple go out and drop on the marker
    We use bed for the KCGCDS gold award to the command 'go to bed'
    We use a cone at our club to the command 'away cone' she usually knocks the cone over then drops
    And finally we use the post to the command 'go bananas' which was the only thing i could think of that was different and no one else would use in the house so it could not be ruined.

I will have a go this week at adding in the jumps and see how she does. I will also try to get a video of her 'go bananas' sendaway

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Sounds great! Love the "go bananas" command!

12. Puppypal

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=6165.msg92179#msg92179 date=1404060523]
    Sounds great! Love the "go bananas" command!
    [/quote]

My friend used it as a command so i stole it as it was a good command, so is 'fish' 'chips' 'sausage' and well most things food related as they are not normally used and sound awsome 8)

13. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Would love to see a video Annabelle...I've got Dexter in his hoop again using a ' mark' command to,go,sit by his marker ....he's sitting there mostly,but I still get a couple of sits in front of me and shuffles back ???....he also tends to look at me as he gets sent to his hoop,rather than getting to his place quickly....only got the hoop,back out yesterday though so we will see how we do.
    Love 'go bananas' ;D

14. Oberon

Will be great to see a vid :) Sounds like she's going well!

15. Puppypal

I had to add an extra command into it last night as she kept going down further and further away the post.

So now she goes runs round the post touches it with her nose, then goes down and touches it again to make sure she is close enough to the post.

Will try to get a video of it this afternoon if it does not rain