The struggle with toys

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Millieboo, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

im sure there is plenty other posts about this, but I'm on the phone since my pc decided to break down on me and to search on the phone is just yuck.
    Millie is 7months old, she never really chewed her toys open or chewed through any plastic toys. Lately she can't stop to chew them all broken, what i got left is ropes and a squeaky pig but all the rest she ruined. Any suggestions on any durable toys? Everything in the pet stores was basically those plush toys she would destroy within a minute.

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I've got done outward hound toys which Rory hasn't managed to kill. We've got a frog and a lizard which even still have their squeeks

3. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer is a toy monster. Tuffy toys are reasonably good but he'll nibble at a spot until he can get the stuffing out.

He has a pig made out of rough shade leather that has a squashed plastic bottle inside that makes a crunchy noise. He's chewed the ears off but the rest is still intact. image.jpeg image.jpeg

Jude, MF, Cath and 3 others like this.
  4. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

@Millieboo snap - my 7 month old has suddenly turned into destructorpup! After having some toys in tact since he was 8 weeks old suddenly the are being destroyed. I have several different sized plastic bottles - things like lucozade sports bottles and have put them into old socks, or have cut the legs off old opaque tights and put the bottles inside them, tied the top and let him loose on them. As the OH has a drawer full of old socks I have a good supply of them, but the one that has lasted the longest has been the opaque tight leg!

Tennis balls get stripped of their covering and this weekend he actually dismantled a tennis ball so he could get the rope out of it to chew the rope....guess I'm off to the DIY store this week to buy several lengths of rope for Bailey to carry around (after I've put some knots in it)!

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

They do go through this they do stop. My latest pupvsyopped being do bad around 2

6. samandmole

samandmole Registered Users

We are also going through this at 10 months. All the plush toys even the so-called tough ones have been nibbled, stuffing removed (favourite game) and ripped to bits. I've given up buying them for the moment! The only thing he doesn't destroy is his beloved Teddy! We are back to cardboard boxes to satisfy his destruction phase! I dimly remember this stage from my last lab.. It does pass!! Buffalo horn and Benebones satisfy his chewing urge!!
    Sam and Mole

7. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I just don't leave my two with any toys. Playing with toys is an activity they enjoy with me. Left to their own devices, they just destroy things, so when they were young and I had to go out for a bit, I'd leave them with something specifically to destroy, like a cardboard box. I'd come back to cardboard confetti, but they'd had fun and it didn't cost me anything.

SwampDonkey and Emily_BabbelHund like this.
  8. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

9. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco is a toy chewer. He is never left alone with toys. The only ones that survive are kongs (the black ones are the best - he has a tyre, a ball and a stuff bone - these are less-supervised) The red kongs have also survived, but he doesn't touch them much. He has inherited a purple kong quest bone and not destroyed it yet, but I feel he will. Rope toys are his favourite.

He has a Jolly Ball - chewed the handle off it, but it survives. A LARGE mooring buoy - this is systematically being torn to bits (luckily he doesn't eat the pieces), and a small mooring buoy - this is punctured but lasting well.

Stuffed toys are a no-no.

10. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

Regular Kongs are almost indestructible. We have a large and xtra large Black and an xtra large Red that have been around a long time. The Blue puppy sized one did not last. Nylabones last a long time. Some of the Tuffy toys have held up, especially the rings. Both Cooper and Tilly can de-stuff most soft toys but the Tuffy rings are still intact. We also buy various rope toys, and I make some also. I view all of them as disposable, but some last a lot longer than others.

I bought a Hol-ee Treat ball for Cooper and discovered that she could empty it in less than 5 minutes! Given a little time, I think she will destroy the screw cap for it also. The outer shell may last though. We had just the soft shell before and it lasted a long time.

Both of them just destroy the toys they don't eat them, so no real harm done.

11. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

Hello! Well Millie don't like Kong, at least those u fill up. I tried everything and she do not care for it at all. She's been such good pup and I now daily have to watch her because she got a thing to go steal my daughters one glove I knitted together. I was thinking that I could maybe crochet something together with a though yarn? Anyone ever did that lol?

But I will definitely try to put bottles into socks. She seems happy with her nylabones she's been having forever but I want her to have some change up..

12. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Bailey doesn't like Kongs either (those you fill), and I have tried lots of different fillings too.

Don't know how Millie is with noise, but Bailey also loves popping balloons! We have to blow them up when he is not around though! They last seconds but it is so funny watching him. As part of my job we occasionally have to create balloon arches and after the event Bailey is the way we get rid of the balloons - then we just pick up the pieces afterwards! His only interest is in popping as many as he can as fast as he can and not eating them, so we are quite happy to let him be destructor pup n a mass of balloons!