Thinking of going RAW...but need Forum's help

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Yvonne, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Saba's Boss

Saba's Boss Registered Users

I too feed Natures Menu, and Saba (30kg) has 500g daily, or less if he starts to lose his waistline. He also has raw bones, but he won't eat mackerel chunks, and he's not fond of any foods containing fish. In the past, he's had Just Natural complete chunky minces which are available in the recommended 80/10/10 combination of protein, bone and offal, but fussy as he is, he soon stopped eating those minces. He also refuses chicken carcasses, but loves lamb ribs, beef ribs, turkey and duck neck, so go figure! Once a week, I give him a whole raw egg, and he spends a few happy minutes playing with it before demolishing the lot, shell and all! I add 5ml of cod liver oil to his meal as his coat is a bit dry.
    There's not so much poo, and what there is is less offensive, and now Saba happily eats the food in his bowl rather than looking at me as though I'm trying to poison him!

MF likes this.
  2. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

I notice that the word "offal" is mentioned. Are these organ meats?
    Thanks MF for your response Monday....am going to try the chicken wings and see if I can get meaty bones from the ONE BUTCHER in our area!
    I have given him a raw egg every now and then....he was not too crazy about yoghurt but maybe mixed with blue berries or strawberries or banana he might be more excited.

MF likes this.
  3. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Yes, offal is mostly organ meats but could be intestines too. MOstly soft, fleshy stuff that isn't normally sold in grocery stores for human consumption, though that can vary by culture. I think there is another recent thread where some of us have noted our dogs don't like kidney.

4. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

MF just gave Cooper a chicken wing....raw.....first, he could not figure out what it was....kept picking it up and putting it down. Then he started cracking it and, finally, ate the whole thing. Now he is sniffing around to see if he left anything on the floor!! I would say it was a success!

MF likes this.
  5. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Two nights in a row Cooper has had a chicken wing added to 1cup of kibble.....he picks it out of the bowl and puts it on the tile floor.....eats his kibble and then attacks the wing!! This morning he made a big fuss with me because I truly believe he was expecting a chicken wing!!! He drove me crazy
    looking at me,whining, walking towards the kitchen,then back to me! I did not give him one...he had already had his kibble AND 1/4 can of wet food!
    So I truly think he would love to go raw.....next move is the butcher.

MF and kateincornwall like this.
  6. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Ah, mine get one raw meal a day out of three - plus often raw mince kongs throughout the day. I need to take a video of Shadow. He loves meal time whatever, but raw food time is the BEST! He will spin and twirl, jump backwards and dance like a lunatic until that food is in his mouth :D

7. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Fiona,when you say raw mince is this beef mince? I could certainly do that.
    Cooper gets two meals a day....he is 3 years old.....and I truly would love to go raw on one of the meals. I am doing this slowly to make sure his tummy doesn't go funny on me. Two days in a row and he has been fine with the chicken wings. But if it is raw beef mince,would like to try that.

8. snowbunny

I use a mix of beef and pork generally. Sometimes chicken or turkey. But, yes, beef is just fine :)

9. Yvonne

Yvonne Registered Users

Luckily I can get turkey and pork and beef. Am always concerned about chicken because it seems as though so many of our pups are allergic to chicken. So I stay away from it. I am going to try the beef, turkey and pork. Thanks.

10. AlphaDog

AlphaDog Registered Users

Agree about chicken. My lab has been raw fed from 3rd month and bone-in chicken quarter was main and inexpensive staple of his daily meal but at14-15 months all went nuts with some vomiting but mostly diarrhea. Took us while to find the source of the problem but once we stopped the chicken he slowly recovered. Beef, venison, elk, pork, and interestingly turkey are okay. We feed twice a day 2% of his body weight. plus a small meaty bone. Offal is important. Our local food store sells a pint of liver for $2. It goes a long way.

You asked about bones. Bones they can chew and swallow are important. They need calcium and if they don't get it from bones than a calcium supplement is very critical (no D3 added). We use meaty pork neck and back rib bones now. He can chew right thru them. Beef back ribs also work but he can't break the bone. We also buy whole rabbit and rabbit heads to add variety. Google Simply Rawsome for a good U.S. source of products. They're based in MN.

P.S. Not all raw feeders would advise chicken wings. The concern being they are so small they might swallow the smaller bone parts rather than chewing them. If they get stuck down below you've got a trip to the ER. Just a thought.

11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Chicken is fine if YOUR dog can eat it, not all are allergic (actually, it's apparently not a real allergy but a sensitivity or intolerance) to it. I see @AlphaDog 's comment that his dog can eat turkey but not chicken. I did the Nutriscan test on Oban and he is sensitive to turkey but not chicken or duck or eggs. Common thought is it's all fowl or none but according to Dr. Jean Dodds, at Nutriscan, not so.

12. snowbunny

Interestingly, I used to feed turkey but stopped because I always had one or both dogs vomiting or having diarrhoea after eating it. Every single time. It didn't matter if it was minced, drumsticks, steaks. They regularly eat chicken and never have any gut problems with it.

13. MF

MF Registered Users

So pleased it worked out well!!

14. MF

MF Registered Users

I've often wondered about this - that small bones are a no-no. But all bones get small after they've been chewed a while, and then the small bits get swallowed. I think - and I really am theorizing cos I've done no studies on this topic - that dogs not used to chewing might swallow bones too big to swallow easily. But Snowie is so used to chewing his food that he'll even chew a raw almond, a tiny nut. My guess is if the dog is regularly fed raw meaty bones, he'll chew them until they can be swallowed easily.

It's also not uncommon to vomit up bones that weren't chewed properly. My vet said that's completely normal - they'll eat it again, chew a bit more, and be fine.

My major concern with bones is breaking teeth - so I avoid giving Snowie large animal weight-bearing bones. He got a long marrow bone the other day, too hard to crack open. I was worried he'd try, so I took a hammer and cracked it so he could lick out the marrow.