Thoughts on Dog Pen

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Markieee, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Markieee

Markieee Registered Users

Whilst I'm out currently Bruno has his own room, but were moving the weekend and wont have this luxury, so rather than him being limited to the crate, would a Pen (Ellie Bo) withstand a Labrador for a couple of hours a day?

2. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

Re: Thoughts on Dog Pen

We used a lindam baby pen when ours were little. One piece of advice I would give is go for a squared shape - with corners - otherwise it would drive me mad having wasted space at the sides of a hexagogal pen (hope that makes sense!). I have no experience of the brand you mention, but they look very robust and heavy weight in the pics I've seen. Our labrador is a cross cocker, so she was teeeeny as a puppy, so I can't say size wise how your boy might be for jumping out or finding comfort?

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I think pens are a really good idea for dogs who aren't safe to leave in a room (I'd have no skirting boards left!) or where homes are very open plan and the need to be restricted. I'm afraid I don't have any experience of the make you've mentioned but in principle pens can be great :)

4. Markieee

Markieee Registered Users

Great thanks for your replies, his currently kept in his room by a stair gate, and the Ellie Bo pen is taller than the stair gate so jumping over would be no problem. I think I will invest in a pen, Thanks guys

5. tartanmouse

tartanmouse Registered Users

We've had ours for years now, and it gets used over and over, at different times, so for us it was definitely a worthwhile investment. Good luck with the move. x

6. suze12

suze12 Registered Users

Hi we have a pen and Milo sleeps in there over night and also in the day when we go out for any length of time. We used it from a small puppy and he normally has a kong in there or another treat and plenty of toys so settles there well. I would recommend them.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have 2 margo the dog pens, a puppy pen (currently out on loan to my neighbour) and a full size one that I use now. At 2 years old, Charlie does not have the run of the houe when we are not in, and the pen lines his room to keep him away from skirting boards, wall sockets, plasterboard...and also confined so he doesn't set off the alarm. I wouldn't be without them. I used the puppy pen panels to fence off the bookcase, the log basket and so on for months after he moved into his grown up pen.

8. LoraChu

LoraChu Registered Users

I use a puppy pen to keep Alfie from wandering off all over my room while he sleeps. We are still working on getting him settled in the crate, so at the moment he just has his bed down by my bed, with the pen around it. This keeps things in my room safe and he doesn't seem to dislike it any.
    I don't use it during the day, but I am sure he would be fine with it if I needed to c: They seem a good idea to me!

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I have an Ellie-Bo pen for the pups, it will be in use again June/July :)

I have another which I use for fencing off her spending area :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]