Thoughts please

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rolokris, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Just wanted opinions from you guys please. A friend of mine rushed up to me at the school gates today and told me she has found the answer to all of her pooch problems. She has 2 king charles spaniels one of them is only 18 months ish and he has been barking non stop at the lounge window which she was not happy about. She has bought a device that when he starts to bark she presses this button and he stops. She can't hear a noise it's only audible to him.

Is this a good idea. I'm not going to advise her good or bad it's not my place I am only interested for myself.

Kris

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Thoughts please

If this is the device I have heard about , then it can cause damage to ear drums . I wouldn't ever use any device or shock treatment to stop barking dogs, not that I`ve ever had a massive problem with it myself, but I`d rather use distraction techniques or moving the chair from the window so that the dog cant look out in the first place ;)

3. Jen

Jen Registered Users

I agree with Kate. First I'd move the chair then train a quiet cue.

Apart from potentially causing harm these devices don't train a dog an alternative behaviour and whats going to happen if she isn't there to press the button. Also theses devices that are on collars, you dont say if this is a collar assuming it is, are heavy compared to a normal collar. I've read reports on theses devices that suggest the dog learns when it has or hasn't got the collar on so even if the dog learns not to bark with the collar on take it off and its back to square one because it hasn't learnt not to bark in a normal collar.

These gadgets seem like a quick solution to a problem that could be driving you mad but behaviours that drive us mad are usually quite complex and need patience and training to get a good result.

4. Rolokris

Rolokris Registered Users

Thanks Kate and Jen. I thought the same as you both. A quick fix is not always what it's cracked up to be. Like I said in my post I'm not going to voice my opinions if she hasn't researched it then that's up to her.

Kris

5. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'm not sure if the videos are online any where but I remember Victoria Stillwell having some positive results with reactionary dogs at windows in the house and in the car. Might be helpful?

6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

My Cavaliers were terrors for 'passer by' barking. We simply kept out of the front room until it was time to shut the curtains!

I would not use such a collar :(