THREE PUPPIES! Struggling with house-training - any advice?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by LabLover22, Jul 13, 2015.

1. LabLover22

LabLover22 Registered Users

ok, so I've ended up with three 12 week old puppies, definitely not my decision, one is mine, and I'll have the other two for another month. They're doing really well with their response to commands, recall and mouthing, but I'm struggling with house-training. I'm using three separate crates, and they are mostly clean and dry in the crates, and good at going outside when I get them out, my problem is being able to supervise them adequately, and getting quickly enough outside (whilst keeping the other two safe) when they are out and about indoors.
    I know that the only real solution is to have eyes in the back of my head, and super fast reflexes....but if anyone has any smart ideas to help me, I'd be really grateful.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Eeek, I thought two puppies was bad enough! Luckily, I didn't have both of them at 12 weeks....

I think you need to restrict them to a smaller area - it sounds like they have free run of the house (or at least, a large part of it)? Even with just the one pup, this is a bad idea, because they don't see the house as being their den, which they would instinctively keep clean. So, you'd normally restrict access to the crate and plus a bit, then, when that was consistently clean, extend it a little more, then a little more until they eventually have free run.

Good luck; you're going to need it!

3. LabLover22

LabLover22 Registered Users

I was using a five foot square puppy pen when I had the whole litter, but now they are bigger, they just push that round the room, I only allow them free run of two rooms, but I certainly can't always see them all, so perhaps limiting them to the room I am in will help. Thanks, Showbunny

4. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

Yes I agree to limit the space they have (when they cant be watched 100%) - Murphy has his crate set up in the hall - which is then blocked off by baby gates - so he is in there if I cant watch him (or monitor him when they kids are around) - we used puppy pads for the first couple of weeks, but he is now totally dry in the house! I guess he got so good because he didnt want to soil in the hall where he also sleeps (in his crate) and eats - so as long as you can get them out frequently they should be able to hold for at least an hour. HTH

5. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

BTW - I dont restrict him at all now (unless I am not in the room and the children are there) - he has free run of the hall, kitchen and living room and is dry. If he needs to go now he just suddenly shoots out of the door and goes to the kitchen door so I know he needs to go lol.