Thunder

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Naya, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Half hour ago it started thundering ......... Harley keeps growling every time the thunder comes. I am rewarding her calm quiet behaviour in between, but am struggling to stop her growling and barking when it does thunder. Any suggestions?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Thunder

I think the best thing to do is to carry on as normal , ignore the thunder and Harleys reaction too . They do pick up on our anxieties so if you relax, it will give her confidence that there is nothing to worry about . Best not to offer any treats or rewards really as she may be confused at to what she is getting them for , just ignore her . I had one dog who was terrified of thunder, fireworks etc . I got a CD from amazon , one for desensitising dogs to noises like this, you just play it whilst doing all your usual things around the house so that the noises because the norm ,it helped a lot .
    Ironically , we had a massive storm today , Sam snored through it but then he is a bit bomb proof :)

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

The cd is good, I used it for gunshot. It didn't cure the problem but it meant that background gunshot is not a problem - good round here with a number of bird scarers in the spring and shoots close by in the winter :)

I also have a friend who uses rescue remedy on her dog in thunderstorms.

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Yep, as Kate said, the best thing to do is ignore her. If you react to her reacting in anyway, even if just to try and soothe her it is only reaffirm in hermind that there is something to be afraid of.

If possible close all the curtains and put the TV or radio on slightly louder than normal and see if you can get her to chew on a stuffed kong or bone. Other than that just totally ignore her and carry on as normal. If she sees you are being normal this will help her to overcome her anxiety.

If you have any DAP spray it's worth spraying some on her bedding if she's in her bed, or spray some on a bandana and tie it round her neck.

Hope it's not coming my way! :(

5. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I am with Kate on this too.
    Just ignoring it is the best option.
    If you behave like it is something TO be worried about, you are sending out the wrong message.
    Lots of distractions with the TV or radio on loud is a good tip too.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Thanks all. I gave her a kong and ignored her reactions. I also turned TV up and this really helped. After about 10 mins she got on my lap and fell asleep ::) typical after she was fretting so much!

7. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I have been out walking with Hattie and Charlie when it thundered and no reaction at all but maybe because I didn't react and just kept going or it doesn't bother them. I am sure you will crack it Ternaya and Harley will be fine x

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

9. Naya

Naya Registered Users

That is really interesting Julie, thanks :)