Time to let Bella off the lead!!!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by CDM, Dec 30, 2014.

1. CDM

CDM Registered Users

So Bella has her 2nd injection on Friday and on Saturday I'm going to take her to a nearby wood that's pretty secure and will attempt to let her off and hope she stays near!! I know it has to be done but I'm quite worried!!! Will take lots of high value treats. I've got a whistle but haven't started using it yet, should I wait or start to use it now? She's only 10.5 weeks so wasn't sure if I should wait or start using it at dinner times etc. I've been getting her to chase me lots in the house / garden and also doing a sort of turn about walk in the house so hoping a bit of that pre work will help!! She's never been 'on a lead' yet so will be first time for both.. Any tips gratefully appreciated!!! :-[

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Time to let Bella off the lead!!!

I would start using the whistle now if that's how you are going to do recall. Whistle when she is on her way to you and reward when she gets to you. High value rewards would be good :) Harley rarely ventured more than 10 foot from us for the first few weeks. Carry on and use the about turn walk when you are out. Also, if you have 2 people you can get her to follow one of you then the other call her away towards them.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

3. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

I feel we are living parallel lives cdm(what is your real name), as i bought a whistle today and have started using it for recall in the house and garden this afternoon. She seems to be responding quite easily at the moment, but its when it comes to distractions will be the real test! Are they ok to go out after 2nd injection, i thought it was 3rd? Izzys is on on friday too! I got her a nice harness today too, to start lead training.

4. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ha I'm claudia :)

Yes I thought they just had the 2?! But will double check at the vets!!! Bella has been a right monkey today, tearing the place up and then she had a wee on my dad's carpet, having just gone outside, when we put vanish mousse down she started licking it up!!! I managed to grab her after a couple of licks but was worried sick, she seems absolutely fine! Me on the other hand = knackered!!!!! Wish I was snoring away like she is next to me now, is it too early for wine? ;) still love her to bits though just want to go to the toilet in peace!!!

5. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Ok thanks, I shall start whistling, when I go back to work she's going to be visited by the puppy sitter on an am and on a pm she will get taken to another puppy's garden up the road to Play. ( I feel so much better about leaving her now as she'll have someone visit home every 2 hrs). I thought whistle recall would be good as they will also need a consistent recall for her and they said they can also use the whistle. Do you call her name and then whistle or just whistle ? My friends coming too to help me! Thanks :)

6. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Hi Claudia!
    You should see my hand and my jumper! Izzy is a terror!

7. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Here's a brief video to help you

8. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Thanks Lucy!! ;D

Wendy, I'm living in scruffs and scruffs with holes, my slippers and dressing gown paid the price today RIP :) :) my friends are shocked I haven't been out sales shopping.... Lifestyle changes :)

9. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

Yep they are my scruffs thankgoodness! I always seem to be wearing just one slipper! Shes fast asleep on my knee at the moment, so sweet, ùntil she wakes and starts again :)

10. CDM

CDM Registered Users

Try broccoli, Bella loves it when's she on one she runs off with a piece like the cat with the cream... ( that I give her?!) then hides behind the Sofa to chow down before going back for more :)

11. Wendy68

Wendy68 Registered Users

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Beautiful :)

13. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users

It is a nervwracking thing but if Bella is anything like Bouncer then she will stick closer to you when off the lead than on & when she does go on a little wander will stop every three steps to make sure you are there.

When her attention is elswhere stand perfectly still & let her wander off for a few feet, then call her back I garantee she will come gamboling back to you.

Ta Da Recall has started

14. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

[quote author=Leanangle link=topic=9279.msg133349#msg133349 date=1419971168]
    Ta Da Recall has started
    [/quote]

So make the most of it, use your recall signal as she's coming back to you and give her loads and loads of yummy treats! :)

I'll second them sticking close. It really is true!

15. CDM

CDM Registered Users

I'll let you know how it goes, thanks :)

Awwww Wendy, Izzy looks lovely!!!