Time to say goodbye?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by paulv66, Feb 17, 2017.

1. paulv66

paulv66 Registered Users

Apologies for this really long post, but we really need advice.

Our beloved Lab Molly has been poorly of late. She was 14 last September and has been spending a lot of time sleeping, but has generally been in good form although she has slowed down a lot. She still thinks she's capable of going for long walks and tries to pull us along towards her old stomping grounds when we turn for home. Up until last week, she was still capable of walking for a mile or so, although most of her walks would be somewhat shorter and the longer walks really tired her out.

For the last few years, we have been giving her Meloxidyl for her arthritis and we brought her in for her annual blood test in January. They told us that her liver and kidney functions were impaired and suggested we put her on an alternative drug on a trial basis for two weeks to see if this improved matters. When we brought her back in two weeks later, they said her liver and kidney figures were even higher than previously and she was also suffering from severe digestive problems (she had a few accidents at home) and also seemed to have picked up an infection. They put her on a drip to rehydrate her and kept her in overnight.

They gave us a course of antibiotics to give her and told us not to restart the Meloxidyl until the antibiotics were finished. They also told us that she didn't have long left and that we should not let her suffer unnecessarily. Her arthritis got much worse and she was having difficulty walking, but we put this down to not taking the Meloxidyl and hoped that things would improve when she went back on it.

However, if anything, she's got worse and has been finding it very difficult to get onto or off the couch where she sleeps in our den. She's still keen to go walking when she manages to get on her feet, but can only manage a few hundred yards. Two days ago, she tried for ages to get onto her couch and eventually we had to lift her onto it (which she seemed to find very distressing).

Yesterday morning she seemed in better form, but we decided to ring the vet to talk to her about it. She's in a large veterinary practice, but is the vet who has seen Molly on her recent visits and has been taking a keen interest in how she is, including calling us for progress updates. When we called yesterday, we were told that she was off duty until Monday and we decided to wait until she was back before doing anything further.

Last night, Molly managed to get up onto her couch, but my wife was woken about 4 am by the sound of Molly falling onto the floor. She went down to her and she was lying on the floor unable to move. My wife tried to get her back into the couch, but was unable to do so. I wish she had called me, but I guess she was too upset to think clearly. Anyway, she stayed with her for quite a while and eventually went back to bed.

When we went down this morning, Molly was lying on the floor shivering. I managed to get her back onto the couch and we rang the vet to make an appointment to bring her in. It's a walk-in practice with long waiting times, but I explained the situation and they said they would have a vet waiting to see her at 2:30 this afternoon. We brought some food in to Molly on her couch and some of her favourite treats.

This seemed to perk her up and after a while she got off the couch and wandered into the kitchen looking for more food and then went for a slow walk around the block with me. We're now having second thoughts about our appointment this afternoon and are wondering whether we should wait until her usual vet is back on Monday.

Our heads tell us that this is probably the wrong decision, but our hearts say otherwise. I know at the end of the day, it's our decision, but we would welcome any advice.

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I'm so sorry that Molly is struggling. Personally I wouldn't want my girl to suffer any more. You have tried several things to no avail and I really believe you need to think about what is best for her. I can only imagine what a difficult decision it is, but I am sure you will make the right one for all of you.

Sven and Lin like this.
  3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Oh, what an awful time for you, my heart goes out to you. I'm so, so sorry :(

At times like this, I try to remember the wise words "better a day too early, than a day too late". But, I know how difficult this decision is for you to make. You will do what's right for your girl, I'm sure.

Bless you all xxx

Helen likes this.
  4. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just read your post, Molly is obviously a much loved girl, who has enjoyed a wonderful life with you. I am so sorry you are going through such a difficult time. No one can really advise you, we have all been there though, and our thoughts are with you. Me personally, I would be thinking a lot is happening right now to Molly, will they improve to any extent, Or is the likelihood according to the vet that she may get worse?

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Go to the appt speak to the vet you won't have to make any decisions you aren't ready for or don't need to make. You and your family sound like you have made sure your dog had the best possible care.

6. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

We have been in the same situation with our Euan. He was in a lot of pain and on maximum of painkillers. He even got opiates. We waited a weekend to see if bench rest would help, but on Monday morning he refused to get up and walk, didn't want his favorite: apple. He left it beside him. He was layed in one position, refusing other positions. His little 'brother' licked him and took care of him, not knowing why he didn't want to come and play.
    He was only 10, we went to the vet to see if an operation would help him. We were convinced that there was some magic from the vet to get him on his feet. The vet told us no....so we went to the vet with a dog and left with only a leash. We were devastated and thought we let our Euan down and given up on him. We cried a lot....
    So that was our situation. My sister then said we had done the right thing by letting him go. Letting go is also an act of love. We sometimes tend to hold on too long....

Dawn_Treader likes this.
  7. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Oh, I'm so sorry Molly is having such a difficult, it really is heartbreaking for you and your family. I would also keep the appointment with the vets. Reading your post reminded me of my neighbour who decided last year it was time for their beloved choccy boy to go over the rainbow bridge. He was 13years old and quite unwell. They took him for his favourite walk in the local woods gave him his favourite food and then went to the vets. What Im really trying to say is whatever decision you come to will be the right one for Molly and your family. Xx

8. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

I really feel for you, it's such a difficult decision to make.

My advice would be to think about Molly's quality of life...Is she happy? Wagging her tail? Is she enjoying her food? Can she go out to toilet unaided?

Thinking of you. xxx

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

This is a difficult post for me, personally, to reply to as I have a young lad with a terminal illness . However , I had to reply because I truly feel your pain and empathise very deeply . When I was facing this decision with my last dog , I kept a diary , I noted every good day/hour , and every bad day/hour and , when the bad overtook the good , I knew that this was the right time . It is the hardest, but also the kindest decision we can make for our beloved dogs , it takes bravery , to do the right thing . My thoughts are with you , and with your beloved Molly , embrace the life she has had and remember these happy times when you feel sad x

Sven, Dawn_Treader, FayRose and 3 others like this.
  10. paulv66

paulv66 Registered Users

Thank you everyone for your advice and your kind words. I guess it's hard for us to think straight right now.

In our minds, bringing her in to the vet this afternoon meant we were definitely saying goodbye to her. But that's not necessarily the case and we will listen to what the vet has to say before making a final decision.

Thanks again to everyone and we'll let you know what happens.

jeanine, SwampDonkey, Karen and 3 others like this.
  11. paulv66

paulv66 Registered Users

Kate, I'm so sorry to hear about your son. It puts our situation with Molly in perspective and I really appreciate you having the grace to consider our situation at what must be a terribly difficult time for you.

12. Granca

Granca Registered Users

It's so difficult to make decisions in those circumstances, but yes, better a day too soon than a day too late. I hope the vet is helpful with your appointment for Molly this afternoon. Whatever you decide will be right for you.

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

@paulv66 , sorry , I didn't mean to mislead you , when I said my lad , I meant my dog . I truly wish you all the very best this afternoon , my thoughts are with you and Molly x

paulv66 likes this.
  14. Joy

Joy Registered Users

Thinking of you. It's such a difficult decision to make and I know you want the best for your lovely girl.

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I am so sorry to read your lovely Molly is so poorly. I would only say that I would rather say goodbye a little sooner than a little later, it is the kindest last thing we do for our precious dogs as hard as it is. You will know when the time is right for Molly because you love her. I hope your vet can help you. Thinking of you and Molly xx

16. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Such a hard decision :(

You will know when the time is right.

With mine I had the vet come to the house and they went to sleep on their favourite bed, they truly knew nothing about it.

We, on the other hand, live with the enormous loss of our loved ones xx

Sven and Dawn_Treader like this.
  17. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My thoughts are with you; it is such a hard decision to make. I know you will put the welfare and comfort of your dear girl first.

18. JenBainbridge

JenBainbridge Registered Users

I can't even imagine what you must be going through. Even the thought is enough to bring me to tears.

When the time is right I have no doubt you will do what is best for your beautiful girl.

Sending lots of love xx

19. paulv66

paulv66 Registered Users

We're back home with Molly!

She had perked up considerably by the time we took her to the vet and was her usual self, sniffing at all the other dogs in the clinic. The vet examined her and said that her heart is really strong. She was able to climb up the 3 steps into the consulting room with no difficulty.

We described what had happened and the vet said that it sounds as if Molly was suffering from hypoglycaemia, which would account for the shakiness on her feet and the shivering. This would explain why she recovered so well after being fed.

She gave us some glucose tablets to give Molly if this happens again and said that we should feed her around 5 times a day (little and often) to keep her blood sugar under control. I walked part of the way home from the vet with Molly and she had no trouble walking along, stopping and sniffing as usual with no signs of any problems other than a slight stiffness.

My wife and I are so relieved that we'll have our lovely girl with us for a while longer! Thanks again to everyone for all your advice and good wishes.

Sven, Chantalkbl, Karen and 18 others like this.
  20. Debs

Debs Registered Users

@paulv66 Such good news, wishing you lots of lovely times with your lovely girl :)