Time to say Goodbye ??

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by smileychopsuk, Aug 12, 2017.

1. smileychopsuk

smileychopsuk Registered Users

My beuatifull bumper 9 years old, has had lumps since he was 3 years old, we never got them tested, as we thought they were fatty lumps. A couple of years ago we got one tested on his leg, and it was a fatty lump, he has always had them on his ribs and tummy but slow growing, although they are very big, the one on his leg measures some 6 inches by 5 inches. He has also suffered from arthritis since about 2 years old, we give him cod liver oil tablets which help.

He developed 3 lumps on his tummy that we assumed were fatty lumps, until one started to grow fast and quick. Took him to the vet, and it came back as grade 1 sarcoma. We had this removed, as the vet was concerned it was so big he could not lay down properly, and that it could burst.

He went through a vast surgery to get removal and margins, this was at xmas, we had to keep him in a pen, and because the stitches failed he was left with a massive under belly open wound, had to do wound care 3 times a day, now completely closed.:)

Since he was cage bound for so long, we started at little walks, he has been going for his walks 4-5 months now, but he seems to be getting worse, he gets very short of breath and we have to rest, is very slow to walk, we have to limit walk to 10 minutes, otherwise he struggles to get back to the house.
    Normally summer his arthritis goes, but not this year. Whenever he goes to lay on the floor he groans. He Limps .Since he was ill, he is unable to do stairs anymore, never jumps on a bed or his settee.
    Is this because he was pen bound for 2-3 months?

He now also has another 5 lumps growing on the other side of the tumor removals. I am keeping an eye to see how fast they grow. What I don't understand is he was classed as grade 1 unlikely to spread, I am sure at least one is a sarcoma its growing too quick.

We have come such a long way since his surgery, as we did not think he would pull through, I wasn't ready to let him go and we thought so hard together. I think I have come to the decision to see if there is any improvement over the next 6 months, if not it would be kinder to let him go.

But he loves, to play and eat his food, going for his walks, playing with my sisters child, and is such a happy dog, but I cant ignore the signs.

But I don't know any other dogs recovering from sarcoma removals, could the above be normal?

2. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

So sorry to hear Bumper is struggling. It's a worry when you know they're not right.
    I think the best thing to do would be to make an appointment with your vet, tell him/her all your fears and worries and come up with a plan of action between you, whether that be more investigations or just palliative care.

3. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Sorry you're having such a worrisome time with Bumper. Definitely chat things over with your vet, as Mandy says, you can come up with a plan of action together. Try and enjoy your time with Bumper - he doesn't know he is ill.

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I don't know which country you live in but my dog has had a miraculous change in his demeanour and energy since the vet put him on a pill called Previcox for his arthritis. However, Bumper's lack of energy could be due to something else possibly related to the lumps. The vet will give you a clearer picture.

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Some cancers in dogs can sometimes pop up as secondary in other parts of the body , often the lungs or other major organs . My own dog had a lump removed which had cancer cells , all margins clear , but he was then diagnosed with Lymphoma . I think , because of this risk , I would definitely have your Vet look at him , and then make a plan . I am sorry that you have this worry x

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Is it very humid where you are? It is here and both my OH and the dog say their arthritis bothers them more now. Still, I think too it would be good to talk to your Vet. ONe thing I have learned to watch for is, how does your pet behave when you aren't with him? They often tend to rally in our presence but left alone, or with someone else, even someone they know quite well, can show a definite loss of enjoyment in life. Then, how much is he without you?

I'm sorry, this is such a hard time.

7. smileychopsuk

smileychopsuk Registered Users

Thank-you all a lot of good tips and some interesting ideas xx

I'll go talk to the vet. xx

8. Lin

Lin Registered Users

Finn is now on previcox and gabapentin for arthritis. Not sure how much it is helping, but as long as he is happy to plod along and enjoy the sniffs, I'm not ready to say goodbye just yet. :( such a hard decision.