Tips for bathing puppies

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Raven12, Sep 19, 2015.

1. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Morning all, looking for some tips on what people find is the best/easiest way to bath the pup. I only bath Jura when I absolutely have to but my little "angel" has developed a bit of a penchant for rolling in fox poo :confused: and whilst I can quite happily live with eau de labrador, eau de fox poo is another thing all together!

This morning's bath was only her 3rd bath (she's now 5 months) but she's not too keen on the experience despite the large amount of roast chicken I was using to try and get her to sit still for me and I think the bathroom and myself ended up wetter than she did :rolleyes:!! Situation not helped by the OH working offshore at the moment so I on my own - why does always choose these times to roll in fox poo!!!

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just use the hosepipe outside when they come home filthy, no shampoo - they don't like that either but they put up with it and it's soon over - no mess that way :)

I use Cowboy Magic for fox poo - it really works well. I also use it on my friend's dog, Zaba, when he stays with us as he STINKS! When he comes home from a soggy swim I rub it all over him with a cloth, it definitely freshens him up. (He stinks because she baths him - which strips the natural oils which keep them waterproof)

Cowboy Magic - http://tinyurl.com/n99j8p4

3. UncleBob

UncleBob Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Tip #1 : Avoid the fox poo in the first place ;)

Tip#2 : Like Mags, we give Harv any 'baths' out on the patio with a sponge, a bowl of warm water, and dog shampoo (because he's worth it! ;) ).

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I don't know about fox poo shampoo or bathing puppies. I recall popping Chepi under a warm shower at about 5/6 months without shampoo. Otherwise I haven't bathed her.
    I have heard that fox poo is a stinker so I am sure I would shower her if I needed to. In fact I would use her paddling pool I think. Will be noting the name of the shampoo Boogie gave you.

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yep, Charlie sits in the log store, I get a bucket of warm water and a very big sponge, good rub all over with sopping sponge will get mud off - if fox poo status requires it, rub in shampoo, rinse with fresh bucket of water and sponge.

Since Charlie will hurl himself into freezing water at any time of year, I guess the fact I use warm water is more for me than him. Seems to make the whole process a bit nicer, anyway.

6. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Ok strictly outside it is from now on! She did start off with a hose down outside to get the actual fox poo off her, but then I made the mistake of taking her into the walk-in shower to shampoo her to get rid of the smell. Though Boogie I will be taking note of your recommended dog shampoo, as I don't think the puppy shampoo I've used is quite cutting it.

Avoiding the fox poo in the first place is definitely the best first line of defence though! We were walking through the forest just up from the house and I saw her nose go down, quickly recalled her but she dropped and did a single roll before sitting beautifully in front of me and looking at me all innocently! All I can say is it must have been a "fresh one", the amount she had on her!

7. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I've by necessity been having to bathe Juno every couple of days and we ha e a 5 minute wait between 2nd shampoo and rinse. I swear by Herta Knacki chicken flavour cut into small chunks

8. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Have never bathed my two, but then, up to this moment they haven't rolled in fox poo. One of my German Pointers (I now only have Labs) used to roll in human poo (YUK) and a dead sheep. There is a very good product which does eliminate the smell of fox poo, perhaps you could try that just in the area of the poo with no need to struggle with a bath?

9. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It's not shampoo, it'a liquid you rub in to the fox pood area, then wipe with a damp cloth.

It works like magic - here is the link again http://tinyurl.com/n99j8p4 :)

10. Raven12

Raven12 Registered Users

Thanks Boogie, just had a proper look at it on Amazon and looks just the thing - it's on order!

11. FoxyLady

FoxyLady Registered Users

I've ordered as well - thanks

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

I too am a convert to Cowboy Magic, spot cleaning and overall freshness, BUT have yet to test it on a really good fox poo roll. I don't think I would be without my Fox Poo Shampoo though.

13. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

LOL, once again I am bewildered. It's come up before, the smell of fox poo. We have foxes, it seems not as many as you. If my dog ever rolled in fox poop I have no idea. So I am mystified as to what the stuff smells like. We also have skunks and the smell of fox in mating season, February or March with snow still on the ground, is a bit like skunk but much reduced in strength. In fact I would describe it as lemony skunk and at some distance almost a bit pleasant. Almost. So, does anyone have lots of fox poo and skunks? Does it smell like skunk? If so I wonder if a product here for skunks that I make sure I keep in stock, Skunk Off, would help? If you can even get that in place with no skunks.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

What does fox poo smell like.....hmmm.... I'm struggling to say anything but it smells like fox poo! :D

It does not smell lemony...and at no distance does it smell pleasant!

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Although, I will add that if your dog had ever rolled in it, you would most definitely know about it! :D

16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Maybe compared to skunk, fox poo IS pretty inoccuous.......??

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Aha, Patricia to the rescue....a woman who knows both what fox poo and skunk spray smells like!

In the other end of the leash, she wrote:

“If you haven’t smelled a dog who’s rolled in fox feces, then your life is slightly better than mine, because it’s a horrible smell, skunky and repulsive, and it clings to dog fur like a burr.” - See more at: http://www.patriciamcconnell.com/th...roll-in-disgusting-stuff#sthash.Rl7A6OCU.dpuf

18. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

So it does smell like skunk then. Skunk I can empathize with and for skunk you need something with enzymes that will interact with chemicals in the skunk. Ordinary dog shampoo won't cut it. The old remedy of tomato juice does work but it takes gallons of it and it turned our white ESS pink. There are home made recipes for skunk, if you google those I think they might help with the fox poo smell too. One involves womens' commercial douche products but folks swear they work.

I checked the link, did you see those apple roses at the bottom? They look yummy. Going to google those up so my guests can gobble them up at Thanksgiving.

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I am forever grateful that my two have not (yet) discovered the delights of fox poo. There is a lot of it round here, but they're not even interesting in sniffing it. A nice, fresh, sloppy cow poo, however, is just perfect for turning Shadow from a yellow to a green Labrador.

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hah Hah - I did see the apple roses, they looked amazing and had goat's cheese in them, apparently - yum yum. :):):) Let us know how you get on making them, Snowshoe.