Tips for camping with a nervous dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by 4theloveoflabs, Jul 14, 2018.

1. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

My dog is great outside while camping but when I zip the tent up he gets nervous. We have been 4 times and he is a little better but he barely sleeps during the night because he is so alert to different sounds. We can’t bring treats to positively reinforce him in the tent because of bears.

Any tips would be helpful. I can tell he is nervous. We bring his bed from him and his favorite stuffed animal but it isn’t helping.

2. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Have you spent any time training him to settle and sleep in the tent before a camping trip? If not, spend some time in the garden sleeping in the tent at night before going on a trip so he learns that the tent is a safe place to sleep. At the moment it sounds that a strange location and a strange environment (the tent) is too much for him to relax and sleep.

Cath likes this.
  3. 4theloveoflabs

4theloveoflabs Registered Users

We worked on it inside the house and he seemed ok but we will start sleeping in the backyard. Our neighbors will love us haha!!

Jojo83 likes this.
  4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Does sound like too big a change from the house to the big outdoors for him. Hopefully some practice in the hsrden will put a good foundation for staying in the big outdoors in place.

4theloveoflabs likes this.