Titre test

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Holliesmum, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Hi all, hope you are having a fun filled day.

Has anybody used this test to check immunity to the things we vaccinate against every year?

I've for many years thought the dogs don't need yearly boosters but always got our boxer champ done because I never really thought to research it and the vets said we had to, he had ALL sorts of problems and had to be PTS because of a massive inoperable liver tumor he was 10.

Now we have hollie I really want to do my absolute best for her and want her to have the best and most healthy, happy life we can give her and over vaccinating is a worry.

I just wanted others opinions on the matter as I have till June to fully research it

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Titre test

Sorry Esther,I've never even heard of this test....I've always just accepted Dexter needed vaccinating ....I've certainly got to keep them up if he wants to attend daycare or classes as you need to produce a copy when you register for an activity x

3. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

We also need them for insurance but surely a report to confirm immunity will do????? Just wondering as I don't take my kids every year for vaccines so why would animal ones be any different???

I'll need to do much more research I think but have an essay to write so need to concentrate on that......who am I kidding

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Its a very contentious subject for sure and many people ask for a titre test before vaccinating to gauge the amount of immunity already in the dogs system . You`re right , over vaccination can cause problems for some dogs and for this reason, many Vets, my own included , now say that a booster every three years is sufficient . The one vaccination I do have annually is for leptospirosis , this one does only last for a year and so if, like my two , your dogs go into water courses regularly, its worth having annually . I think its very much up to the individual owner, read and more read, speak to your Vet and then make an informed decision and good luck with the homework :)

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Well, you learn something every day (at least on this forum you do). Fascinating, and I'm going to watch this thread with interest to see what you decide!