Todays mishaps :0(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Trishad3397, May 4, 2014.

1. Trishad3397

Trishad3397 Registered Users

Scout has some how burnt or took the top layer of skin off her pad. Her front right has a 10p size and the front left just a tiny spot.

[​IMG]

can anyone shed any light on this please. I have a sock on her at the moment to stop her licking it but i doubt it will last the night, should I be calling the emergancy vet?

2. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Re: Todays mishaps :0(

I would phone vet for advice. They are on duty and won't mind. Don't want to scare you but if it was me I would phone.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Oh poor love, yes quick call to the vet would be my plan :)

Hope it's all quickly sorted.

4. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Have you taken a long walk on hard ground?
    This happened to one of my dogs before after a long walk down a disused railway track and the stones wore away the pads on her feet! :-[
    I did feel terribly guilty but they soon recovered!

5. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Poor Scout, let us know how she is please x :(

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oh no :'( I hope the vets were able to advise you

7. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Oh that looks so sore poor dog.

Hope she gets a good nights sleep and is better in the morning.

8. Trishad3397

Iv called the vet, was advised to gently wash her feet in boiling water that has cooled down. Then I have put a sock on just the right foot. She isn't that bothered by the sock surprising. She is asleep now bless her, I just hope she leaves it alone during the night.
    On her walk today she met another dog and went a little crazy on concrete.

9. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh fingers crossed that she is brighter tomorrow. Hattie cut her paw this week, I cleaned it put a sock on and tied it on with a piece of bandage to stop her removing it which did the trick xx :)

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

It will be the going crazy on concrete thing.

This happened to my SIL's ball mad lab when I was looking after her last year.
    She was constantly skidding in our gravelly tracks (rather than her usual grass) and I only noticed when I spotted her carpal pads were worn and almost bleeding :-[
    Vet advised keeping clean and applying a little antiseptic - also someone else suggested a healing balm - such as lip salve! Aloe vera one is particularly good. I tried wrapping vet wrap around her pads - they didn't stay on - a sock is a better idea. In the house I guess you won't need it though.
    I felt so guilty about it. :-[
    Once I realised it was there and stopped the running on hard ground after the ball, they actually healed up quite quickly. Had to 'fess up though.
    Hope Scout's heal up quickly too x

11. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Poor lass. She will be ok - it's just an abrasion wound. Good work on noticing it and taking steps to help it heal up :) Good to hear also that she is tolerating the sock.

12. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dexter has had one of these.....the vet saw it and said bathe with cooled boiled water ( I put a bit of salt in it to be honest ) and the rawness dried up within a day....I don't know how he got his...it certainly wasn't running after a tennis ball with enthusiasm ::) ;D
    Hope it seems better today x

13. Trishad3397

The sock lasted the night but it was a very wet and hanging off, when I took it off to look at her paw it was very red and had the smallest few dots of blood. She has obviously been chewing it through the sock during the night. Iv washed it again and maybe I have done the wrong thing here but I have put a bit of sudocrem on and then a new clean sock. She is feeling very sorry for herself bless her, today is going to be tuff for my little soldier, especially because she will not be able to go on her walk.

Thanks for the advice x

14. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Awwww - poor pooch :(

Looks like a cone will be needed at night :(

15. Naya

Naya Registered Users

:'( I hope it heals up quickly x

16. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

Ah bless her!
    When this happened to my dog I drove her to a large grass area not far from our house and parked up along side and just let her walk on the soft grass so she didn't go without a walk ,just wash the wound again when you get home.

17. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We see this sort of injury quite commonly and as everyone says it is usually trauma - this is essentially the underside of a large ruptured blister which has formed between the top layers of hard pad and the dermis underneath. They are sore and they can take a while to heal. I tend to advise people to clean the area, dry it then use one of the spray-on skin products you find in the pharmacy. It doesn't speed up healing but it gives a nice waterproof layer and seems to reduce the pain from these lesions, probably by covering over exposed nerve endings. And a boot or bandage to cover whilst out walking, and a soft cone at night to keep inquisitive tongues off it.

18. Trishad3397

Oh my goodness, we tried a cone on her last night, she was petrified! She froze, and started to pant and shake. She never moved for about 15 mins- she just half lay down (bum in the air head on the floor). I was talking to her, reassuring her constantly but nothing help. She wouldn't lift her head up. She then started to give out little pitiful whimpers, it broke my heart. I put her in her bed in hope that's she might relax but no she was still froze. All in all she wore it about an hour and it's safe to say she couldn't cope with it on. My partner is always accusing me of being too soft and not persevering but even she agreed we had to take it off.
    So sock on to stop her licking but during the night she chews through the sock. Fingers crossed it a bit better today.

19. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Do you think she would be able to cope with the cone for very short periods throughout the day to try and desensitise her? Or if you had a rigid plastic cone perhaps one of the inflatable cones would be less scary?

Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon x

20. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=5761.msg74150#msg74150 date=1399359588]
    Do you think she would be able to cope with the cone for very short periods throughout the day to try and desensitise her? Or if you had a rigid plastic cone perhaps one of the inflatable cones would be less scary?

Poor girl, I hope she feels better soon x
    [/quote]

This is great advice but it could take a bit of time to desentisise .....of it's only the night times she can do some damage I'd say what the heck and sleep with her.I exposed Dexter to a variety of cones in prep for a tail op he had to have last year but he could still reach his wound even with a massive cone on so I just slept with him in the end .....Dex's paw looked exactly like this and it was better within a week so if you can keep her away from it it won't be too long xxxx