Toilet training at 5 months

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by Hazel perry, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Hazel perry

Hazel perry Registered Users

Hi all,
    If this is a repeat of, or similar to, a previous question sorry! We have a 5 month old black lab who we have had since 10 weeks old. He is bright and picks up tricks quickly and will tell you if he needs to go out. However he is still going to the toilet whenever he is left in the house, including overnight. We had thought he would grow out of it be he doesn't seem to. He is shut in the kitchen overnight but doesn't have a crate. He goes to daycare during the day so is only left on his own for about 2 hours at a time but he will still wee during that time. Overnight he will sometimes poo, if he can't be pursuaded to before bed, but will always wee. He goes out before he's left (at night and before being left during the day) and will usually go to the toilet when out. He doesn't make a noise at night and when he was younger we tried getting up to let him out (mid morning) but he wouldn't do anything and would still have gone when we got up. We don't go to bed that early and are up by 6 every morning so he's only left overnight for 8 hours.

Should he still be doing this at 5 months and does anyone have any suggestions about how to get him to stop weeing when on his own? I'd rather not crate him if I don't have to.

2. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

The advantage to a crate is that dogs will not generally soil a place that they see as their den. Crates are also useful for a safe place for the pup to be when you need him out of the way. So maybe you might want to revisit that decision? Crates were a lifesaver for me when I had puppies.

Anyhow, at this point you do not have a dog that is toilet trained. He does not understand that "inside" is not a place to pee/poo. So you will have to go back to basics. Keep him confined in a small area and under supervision when he's home with you and take him out at regular intervals. Massive praise and treats when he goes outside, just ignore it and clean it up when he goes inside. Punishment will not help, he doesn't understand the rules. So have patience and be consistent. How is he at day care? Does he pee/poo inside there?

He's still young yet. He will get it if you persevere.

3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

The problem with daycare is that it doesn't toilet train your puppy - the dogs can toilet anywhere. And if he's at daycare 5 days a week then he really doesn't have much "real life" practice at toilet training. I'd be tempted to take a week off work and go back to basics, like Lisa suggested.

4. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

5. moonsun

moonsun Registered Users

I have problems just like you and are not know how to handle

6. QuinnM15

QuinnM15 Registered Users

In addition to crate training, introducing a cue word will help immensely, especially before bed. We use "do your business" with Quinn and it's great for last pee of the night or before longer car rides or training class...she goes almost right way. We taught it with clicker training/treat and faded out treats out after a month or so (Quinn is 11 months today).

7. Hazel perry

Hazel perry Registered Users

Thanks for all the replies, meant to respond earlier but forgot! We got a crate from my mum the weekend after I saw these messages and had put his bed in it to get him used to it when he stopped doing anything in the house. I'm not sure if it was just that he grew out of it or possibly having my mums dog (who is fully house trained) to stay for the weekend. He went from weeing in the house every night to having done nothing in the house for nearly a month now. He now sleeps in the crate but we've not needed to shut him in it and he'll soon be to big for it.

MF likes this.
  8. MF

MF Registered Users

Sounds your like your mum's dog had a good talking to him! :cool: