Toilet training methods

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Robbiep, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Robbiep

Robbiep Registered Users

Hi all,

There seems to be 2 methods used for toilet training:

1: Confining puppy to a crate, so he will try to hold pee and poo - in which case you need to get up and let him out to toilet before he fails to hold it.

2: Confining puppy to his play pen so he learns to pee and poo on newspapers, which is a designated area.

Would it confuse puppy to use a combination of the two? What i mean is... while im at home, i use method 1, but while im at work during the day, i use method 2.

What your thoughts?

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Toilet training methods

When Harley was little she had a section of her crate which was where we used puppy pads incase she really needed to go when I was at work. It was partitioned off from her sleeping area.
    When we were home we trained using outside.......we have never had a problem with any of this :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

It's fine to do both - I think if your pup wees and poos on newspapers because you are out too long to use a crate, you must try extra hard when you are home. For us that meant going the extra mile with toilet training when we were able - he still goes out to the garden on a lead and is rewarded for peeing now, at a year old! (That's really just a habit and a fun routine for him). If you must let him pee and poo inside because you leave him, you have to make sure you work on toilet training extra, extra, hard when you can.

4. Robbiep

Robbiep Registered Users

Thanks!

So when im home do I put extra effort into training Zulu to wee and poo on newspapers (indoors) or do i continue with the outdoor training when im home?

My thinking is that someone needs to teach him to use his indoor toilet, but when do i do that?

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd say outside - because you want him to go outside, so focus on that. The inside newspaper thing I viewed as an emergency measure because I had to work, and couldn't provide toilet breaks every 20 minutes (which is what he needed). I never viewed newspapers as a long term strategy or "inside toilet" as such. You just want to get him to about 3 hours or so, when you really should be arranging for a dog walker, friend, other family members to give him a toilet break and attention/playtime.

Also, going back to your question about long term confinement. I went to great lengths to get him to view his pen as his den (so he wouldn't want to pee and poo in it) - I spent hours and hours with him in his area, he was fed there, we played there etc. etc.

6. Robbiep

Robbiep Registered Users

Thanks!

Zulu spends plenty of time in his playpen.. he eats, sleeps and plays in there... i also find that he really doesn't like going to the toilet in his pen, but there is a newspaper area at the furthest corner.

I have also put "puppy toilet spray", which is supposed to attract him to wee in a certain area.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Robbiep link=topic=5052.msg63357#msg63357 date=1395702215]
    Thanks!

Zulu spends plenty of time in his playpen.. he eats, sleeps and plays in there... i also find that he really doesn't like going to the toilet in his pen, but there is a newspaper area at the furthest corner.

I have also put "puppy toilet spray", which is supposed to attract him to wee in a certain area.
    [/quote]

You are putting so much thought into this, Zulu has a very dedicated Dad!

It's good he doesn't like going in his pen. I'm not sure the spray is a good idea - it will encourage him to go in his pen (even though you mean it to encourage him to go on the newspaper).

The idea is still that he shouldn't wee and poo in his pen - but can in an emergency (it would be cruel not to let him). But the main point is that he needs to learn to "hold" it still.

8. Robbiep

Robbiep Registered Users

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=5052.msg63366#msg63366 date=1395727279]

You are putting so much thought into this, Zulu has a very dedicated Dad!

[/quote]

Thanks, just want the best for my little pup :)

9. Lab mom

Lab mom Registered Users

Our puppy is 10 weeks old. She does a good job going outside to pee. My problem is that she goes to the door and just stands. No barking or whimpering. I feel like I have to watch her all the time. Has anyone heard about the bell method? Any thoughts?