Toilet training update

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Robbiep, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Robbiep

Robbiep Registered Users

Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know how things are going with Zulu..

Today he is 11 weeks old and things are going pretty well with him and we have no real issues with him, which is great.

With regards to his toilet training, during the day he is left at home for 8 hours, but we do visit him at lunchtime, take him for a little walk, toilet break and his lunch.

While at home he seldom poo’s (as he normally poo’s on his morning and evening walk). We have some turf and newspaper where he goes for his wee’s, so in that way he is good.

During the night he seems to have settled into a good routine… He sleeps in his crate (which is closed). I normally take him outside for a wee around 10pm, then I wake him up for a wee at 1am, then again around 330am, then he wakes up around 5—530am.

I was thinking…is it worth me keeping his crate door open so he can take himself to the toilet (his turf area in his pen) or do you think I should continue waking him up every 2-3hours to take him to the toilet outside?

I think the long term goal for Zulu is that he will be limited to where he can “roam” in the house (generally the kitchen, dining area etc – where its tilled), but eventually I want to him have access to the back yard (through a doggy door) where he can spend time outside and well as go to the toilet outside when he need to.

Also, last night, around 9pm, Zulu had been sleeping for about 1.5 hours. He woke up half asleep, stood up and just made a wee in his crate, then tried to go back to sleep. Is this something I should be concerned about? I guess it was my fault for not taking him out for a wee… but he looked so content sleeping in his crate. I don’t recall him doing this before.

Look forward to hearing your advice.

Thanks,
    Robbie

2. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Re: Toilet training update

Personally I wouldn't worry about a single nigh time accident .... he may just have been too tired.

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

He was probably very tired, I wouldn't worry too much if it was a one off ;)

Long term, I think access to outside would be good as long as your garden is very secure. Have you tried extending his wee breaks overnight? By 11/12 weeks Harley was going roughly 4-6 hours without needing to go :)

4. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would have thought at his age now, he should be able to go through the night until 5.30 without you waking him a couple of times. You aren't giving him the chance to last and it may become a habit!

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hmm...I dunno, Robbie. I would be worried over the peeing in his crate, and I wouldn't have him pee and poo inside unless it absolutely can't be avoided - so if he can't last all night, you need to keep taking him out - perhaps start extending the time slowly?

You know I did the same as you, and worked when I had a small pup, but I think this means you need to work super hard on the toilet training to overcome the difficulties. But, you are only 3 weeks in! I'd try keep an eye on a milestone to not having him pee and poo inside at all. I know you don't have people popping in as I did, but this means you have to overcome that extra challenge.

I do not think he will take himself outside to pee and poo unless he is toilet trained. And when he is, and a bit older, he should easily last a morning until you come home at lunch. So not sure I can see the point of a doggy door. But whatever works for you and your pup.

6. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Hi, Sounds like you are doing really well, and will get there, Zulu is still very young. I wouldnt worry about the one off wee in his crate. Think that he could maybe last longer at night though, maybe take him out very last thing, midnight ? And first thing 5.30am, I wish you luck, and hope that you find a way that works for you. Maggie xx