Toilet training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Simone Giddings, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Simone Giddings

Simone Giddings Registered Users

I’m an intruder I’m sorry, my dog is a golden retriever , Brian. He is 9 weeks old.
    We are doing ok with house training as long as I take him after a sleep, after feeds, after playful periods, every hour or so and if he starts sniffing around. It is fourth day home and we have had 3 or 4 accidents. He is crated at night and is going 7 hours without needing a wee. What I want to know is how do I get him to start to ask to go out himself rather than me anticipating. Many thanks

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Welcome , and you aren't an intruder at all , we welcome all breed owners ! So , one word, repetition ! He is doing everso well to go for seven hours overnight , and he will learn to ask as he matures . I used to take my lad out every half hour , we actually used to the words Go Wee Wee , and then a massive fuss as and when he performed ! Bladder control is weak when they are little , so its a question of us making the connection for them , and then suddenly they twig !

Simone Giddings likes this.
  3. Simone Giddings

Thank you for the welcome and advice
    Our word is ‘get busy’.
    I will keep going just as I am then. His bladder is better than mine at night !!!

selina27, edzbird and kateincornwall like this.
  4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you from me and Tatze (black Lab) and Keir 1/4 Flatcoat 3/4 Golden Retriever.

Some pups start to ask themselves quite quickly, others take months.

Keir, seven months old, just goes to the door and looks at me meaningfully. He was widdling inside (if I wasn’t vigilant) up to about 20 weeks :eek:

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi and welcome. I think t took until Harley was about 12-13 weeks before she started asking to go out. Until then I took her out just like you are doing. Consistency and praising/rewarding when they go outside helps.

6. SimoneB

SimoneB Registered Users

You are doing everything right. he just needs time to learn that he has to ask. Until then you need eyes in the back of your head. Our Caspar, 10 weeks, can go 7 hours at night, but like you we take him out at those intervals after playing, sleeping and eating. If he were by himself and unable to be seen at the back door he would just go and do it somewhere. It has happened a couple of times when I haven't spotted the request as I have my hands full of washing etc.

7. Simone Giddings

You do need eyes in the back of your head !

drjs@5 likes this.
  8. blaser1975

blaser1975 Registered Users

Welcome it just takes time my girl Ella is asking to go out at 11 weeks old others we have had over the years have taken a lot longer no 2 puppies are the same just hang in there

9. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hi Just wanted to say welcome and what a brilliant name. Brian is a great name for a dog. 7 hours at night at 9 weeks is good going...post some pictures for us if you get a moment...best wishes Emma Meg and a variety of other creatures :)

10. Jazzmynn

Jazzmynn Registered Users

Hi there, and welcome. Ariel is just over a year old now. As a pup, we would take her out at consistent intervals, anticipating her toilet needs. This worked into a great, regular routine for her bathroom breaks. Although she goes much less frequently now, she’s on a good schedule that works perfectly for our household.

The way she signals us that she needs an extra bathroom break is to come and start nibbling my legs or hands with her front teeth. Lol. It’s annoying as anything but gets my attention. I do worry sometimes that if someone else has to watch her that she won’t be able to communicate her needs, as she doesn’t go to the door, or jump around in the entranceway to get our attention.

11. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Welcome! I love the name Brian :D
    I think you are doing well too.
    Interestingly, we had a 14 week pup visiting last week (my daughter was looking after her) and I found it interesting just sitting and watching their interaction.
    What my daughter didn't realise was the subtle change in the way the puppy way sniffing/playing and the gravitation nearer to our back door, followed by a slightly longer gaze towards my daughter.
    Once you pick up on these subtle tells, it helps. Really is good to just sit and watch with 100% attention.
    (still need eyes in the back of your head :rolleyes: )
    jac