Toilet Training

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by GoldenlabZola, Oct 30, 2020.

1. GoldenlabZola

GoldenlabZola Registered Users

Hi there

Just looking for some advice. My 4 and a half month lab Zola seems to think she can pee and poo anywhere we started toilet training properly around 4.5 weeks ago just after she got her 2nd round of vaccines. Started with lots of positive reinforcement and ignoring the accidents. Took her out every hour etc etc.

Most of the day she’s fine. But we still have around 2 pees in doors everyday and a poo maybe every few weeks. She’s getting better at telling me she needs to go outside. Walks to the door but if I don’t catch her going there she’ll just go on the rug. I’ve worked out her schedule but still feel I’m having to go out every hour or two. She’s no issue holding for around 9hrs at night (she sleeps in her crate).

I guess I’m just wondering if this sounds normal for her age? I’ve maybe been slacking on the positive reinforcement over the last few weeks so could ramp that up again to try just rule out the occasional accidents.

TIA

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

When you say you started toilet training properly 4.5 weeks ago, what were you doing before then?

3. GoldenlabZola

I had been using puppy pads. I don’t have my own private garden and knew other dogs sometimes walk on the grass in front of my house so didn’t want to let her out encase she picked something up.

4. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

Then yes, if you've previously trained her to toilet inside, then it will take some time for her to understand that the rules have completely changed

5. GoldenlabZola

Okay! Thank you! She’s actually been doing better the last few days telling me each time she needs to pee and poo

Thanks for replying!