Too friendly with kids

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Soumik Mandal, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Soumik Mandal

Soumik Mandal Registered Users

Madam,I am from India. My one year old labrador is very children friendly as he grown up along with my two daughters 6yrs and 3yrs.
    But whenever any guest come and knock door,my pup will approach him waging tail vigorously and will ask to get patted. Even on road if I pass beside any child he will jump towards him to start playing.even if some unknown person cones he is ready to leave house with him.majority of time unknown children got very frightened. Madam i will be obliged if you kindly respond to me

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Welcome to you.

I would put the pup on the lead when visitors arrive so that you have some control. He will begin to calm down with maturity.

:)

3. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

And ask your visitors to keep calm and ignore your dog - no eye contact, no touching etc. Once your dog has calmed down then they can greet your dog. Most Labradors just LOVE new people, it's totally normal :)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

PS, welcome! That's probably the most formal and polite post we've ever had on the forum :D

farahmay, Candy and selina27 like this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome! Your dog sounds like a typical friendly labrador pup.

7. MF

MF Registered Users

There’s something about kids that my dog just loves. If we walk past children, even if they’re not paying any attention to him, he looks happy and wags his tail. If we pass a pram, he always wants to look inside - it’s very sweet. Thankfully he’s older now - 6 years old - and totally calm around kids, so I don’t worry. They do calm down with age.

The other day I was walking in the forest. I used the public toilets. Snowie was on a lead at this stage but didn’t want to come into the toilet cubicle with me. So I held onto the lead while he stood on the other side of the door. A mother with two young girls came in. She used the toilet, they waited outside. I heard her say: don’t touch anything! (dirty public toilets) Meanwhile there they were, hardly taller than Snowie, standing on each side of him petting him, getting gently whacked by his tail. It was very sweet to see, and I was heartened that the mother wasn’t afraid to leave her two girls next to a big dog! It makes such a difference when kids and their parents are calm around a dog.

farahmay likes this.