Too skinny? Just right?

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by alschwahn, Jul 8, 2018.

1. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Last weigh-in Aspen was between 64-67 lbs (don't remember exactly what it was) and that was at his one year check up around April. The vet said he was a great weight and looked healthy and to try and keep him at that size. Well the last two months he has been looking awfully skinny. I know you should be able to slightly see a labs ribs or at least be able to feel them, but I have had a lot of people tell me he looks too skinny and now I am concerned because I do feel like I can see his spine now! He exercises but nothing crazy. He gets walks, plays in the yard, fetches, and swims. He eats 3.5 cups of Fromm's Large Breed adult food. 1.5 at breakfast and then 2 at dinner. Maybe people just used to stockier or obese labs? I don't know. I don't know if anyone will be able to tell from pics, just would like an opinion.

In this pic you can see his ribs, but can also see that he has quite a bit of muscle: [​IMG]

This isn't the best pic to show it all, but his spine is really quite pronounced at times:[​IMG]

Cath likes this.
  2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

I have had similar comments over the years about my dogs. People are used to seeing overweight dogs nowadays and to some, a slim dogs looks half starved :). He is probably perfectly healthy as he is but if you can easily feel his spine it might be an idea to add a pound or two to his weight. If you would like to see Aspen a little more 'covered' it wouldn't hurt to increase his breakfast by 1/4 of a cup for a while and see what the effect is. Maybe for a couple of weeks. Take before and after photos and if you think he is losing rather than gaining, pop him back to the vet for a check up.

farahmay and alschwahn like this.
  3. Keithmac

Keithmac Registered Users

He looks a good heathy dog!, our freinds Golden Retriever looks very similar weight and build.

As you say people are used to seeing fat Labradors of one reason or another!.

4. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

@alschwahn , Cassie was like this before she was spayed , she ate loads and although the vets wanted her skinny for the op I didn't like feeling her spine! Since the op I thought I'd have to cut her food right down but in fact I haven't really, she has put on 1lb since, and looks just right.
    I agree that lots of people just assume a Lab should be tubby!