Traditional Spey Vs. Keyhole

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Penny+Me, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Penny has just been for her booster and we discussed our options regarding speying. I was always planning to have her speyed, but I didn't have a specific time in mind. However now that we've discovered that she is going to be one of those dogs who has a season every 3-4 months I want to get her done sooner rather than later as her hormones seem to be sending her haywire and having a season so often is going to mess with her training. The vet recommend we Spey her 9-10 weeks after the discharge stops, instead of the usual 12 weeks because she comes into season so often.

My practice offers both kinds of procedure - the traditional Spey where the ovaries and womb are removed, and also the keyhole procedure where only the ovaries are removed.

I have no experience with the keyhole procedure as all the rescue dogs I have worked with have had the traditional Spey done as it is cheaper. I know the recovery time is shorter with keyhole and they only have three small wounds instead of the large incision. But that's all I know about it.
    I worry, with the keyhole procedure, that because only the ovaries are removed this still leaves her with the risk of a pyometra, and with a traditional Spey this risk is eliminated altogether.

What are your experiences with both kinds of Spey? I know all the complications associated with a traditional Spey, having experienced them all during my time working in kennels, but I know relatively little about keyhole procedures.

Pros and cons?

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Traditional Spey Vs. Keyhole

I have had several bitches spayed, most the usual hysterectomy, but one abroad had the keyhole method . I also worried about Pyometra but was told that because no eggs were being produced , and therefore no thickening of the lining of the uterus , the risk was extremely slight, if at all .
    When Millie was spayed in January , she had the usual spay as my Vet didnt offer keyhole, she recovered well with no problems . Having said this , had I had the option , I would have gone for keyhole as by bitch who did have it recovered so much more quickly .

3. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Lauren, this is my report on the laprascopic spay - I had one of my cockers done recently

4. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

Ah that's brilliant Pippa, thanks. I'll give it a read now!

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

My vet does the tiniest wound when she spays a bitch, just under an 1". I remember my first dog done in 1972 and done by a "large animal vet" and the poor dog had a very long wound cobbled up by thick nylon. Times change.

If I had had the opportunity of a keyhole I would probably have chosen it.