Train the trainer or train the Lab

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Scooby Doo, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Registered Users

Hi All
    Hunter arrived 2 weeks ago as a rescue dog/failed training dog. A 3.5 years old black male with some training and a history that is making us wonder just where he has been before. He was sold as grumpy to strangers but is kind, happy, over friendly and acts like a hearing dog, going bonkers at every alarm or phone ping. Over the last 2 weeks his behaviour training is coming out well, recall is 80% (i.e. when he can be bothered) sit stay, heal are to be fair, very good when food is involved and he was off the lead from day 2.

The problems we are having are starting to point us to believe he has been kept at home, indoors way too much. Number1 & 2's on the lead are a no no and he will only go in the garden, walks are starting to be a nightmare, show him a lead and he runs the other way and hides (1st time I've ever seen that in a dog), in the house he is Mr Playfull CONSTANTLY!, in the garden or walks he is Mr Miserable, he wont play, chase, catch/retrieve, run and hardly interact. It is like 2 dogs in one body.

I'm wondering how you train a dog to enjoy going for walks, to have fun and run around or get some exercise? yesterday was his first all day alone (back at work) and went great but my early alarm call was a waste of time as he refused to go for a morning walk. Now I'm feeling guilty I don't try harder ;) or am I over reacting at this early stage? Can you train him to have fun?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Two weeks really isn't a long time for a rescue dog to settle in. Give him time. He's probably feeling a bit uncertain outside. It'll come; my little foster dog I had over the summer took a couple of months before her full character came out.
    I'd say don't force him to go out. One of my dogs has severe anxiety and sometimes goes through phases where she doesn't want to go out. Letting her make that decision is empowering for her and means she's more likely to go out later on. If I force the issue, it sets her back.

My lot also don't like to go to the loo on lead because they're off lead most of the time.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Agree with @snowbunny re the time period . I have a rehomed dog , and had other rescues before her , and yes, it takes time and patience to build a bond of trust . Slowly slowly wins the race .

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo Registered Users

Yes that's fair enough and easy to forget when he's settled in so quick in other ways.

The Lab Rat (as he's now known) stole off the cooker this morning, jumped straight up pulled the cast iron grills towards him and took 2 pate smeared Kong toys he saw being made up as I went back the fridge. Luckily we installed a child gate on the kitchen door at the weekend so it was my fault he wasnt the other side but if the cooker had been 'on' or it had been a pan of sausages etc. I hate to think what would have happened as he leant across the gas 2 rings to get what he wanted. Kids? what can you do ;)o_O:)

5. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Ah well, lesson learned. Hunter sounds like a clever boy. Once he's settled I'm sure he'll be a dream to work with.