Training area

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Sven, Jun 19, 2017 at 3:27 AM.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

This one is confusing me a little bit and wanted to know what thought process could/would be by others.

I am reading the Clicker Gun Dog book by H.P. She has a paragraph in there that says not to train in the field that you allow your dog to be free. Now that works well no doubt if you have a lot of fields to choose from, problem I have I don't. If this does work better, should I then find an area to be solely for training.
    Any thoughts on this, or could I just train in the same place just in a different corner that we don't necessarily wander into on a regular basis. Just means we would walk through the play area first...
    I think she is referring more to the training around GunDog training rather than the basic obedience. We always train the basics or improve within the play area...

Thanks for any advise...

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

I'd have to dust my copy off to read the paragraph in context. Does she give ay indication of reasons for this?
    I train on our land, where the dogs get to run free on, too. Never caused me any bother. When they're mooching, they do their own thing and when they're in work mode, they do what they're asked.

3. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

I know nothing at all about gun dogs.

But I do wonder if dogs are rather like us in this way - that they identify work places with different behaviour than when relaxing at home? School children are the same - they usually have much better behaviour at school than at home.

Mollie is certainly a different girl at 'work' than she is at play. I have always kept the places separate so that she clearly knows her work areas and play areas. She's very steady indeed when working (Guide Dog puppy training) and a complete loooonatic when relaxing.

:)

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Dogs are very contextual. I struggle to get Riley to train in the areas we frequently 'walk'. Obi on the other hand will train anywhere. I think this is partly down to drive and partly down to the dogs memory bank of experience. Riley is walked much more than Obi because he's easygoing, Obi is a spaniel ;)

5. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I think what HP says is the perceived wisdom. However, I train my dogs as I walk them, we do retrieving, stop to the whistle, directions etc. I do though have some sundog lessons in a group class and then practice what we have learnt.

6. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks we do train as we walk, but that is mainly around obedience and recall. From what I understand reading the paragraph, she says that there should be no stimulus control or association with the working environment.
    It seems to be by using the dogs ability to memorise different environments, they can enjoy their freetime etc in one and use their training etc. in another.
    Apperantly it is to stop them from making an error and relaxing during the shoot etc.

Actually makes sense, as thinking back Vanilla went to day care with me in the early days. We also did our first classes, but they never worked out she was not interested and wanted to play. Could never concentrate...