Training for Separation

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by chrissy-duncan, Apr 19, 2018.

1. chrissy-duncan

chrissy-duncan Registered Users

Sorry folks, yet another thread from me!

Morty and I have been putting in quite a lot of work recently with getting him comfortable with separation. Things started off really well and we've slowly built up to around the 10 minute mark. For the most part he will stay quiet while I go into other room or do things about the house now (which has been a massive breakthrough for my sanity!)

Our trouble lies in breaking past this 10 minute mark, which we just can't seem to consistently manage. Some days we can build up to 15-20 minutes before he starts crying or frantically trying to jump out his pen but for the most part once he's been alone for 10+ mins, that's when he acts up.

Does anyone have any advice on pushing past this barrier? Is it just a case of repetition, repetition, repetition?
    Also when we start reaching these longer stints, what is the best approach if he cries/acts up? Say for example, we're aiming for 15 mins and he starts crying at 11 mins, should we keep going for 15? Reward him immediately after the crying stops? a few minutes after the crying stops?

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, keep repeating, but be sure you go back long before he starts looking for you or crying, while he’s still calm.

I would give two frozen Kongs and come back before the second one is finished. Then he’s never rewarded for crying or barking. The time you can leave him will slowly build up. Some pups take much longer than others.

Of my seven pups, Keir has taken the longest. He’s ten months old now and I can leave him for an hour - but this started with very short, one minute sessions.

3. chrissy-duncan

chrissy-duncan Registered Users

Thanks for the advice. Is there any recommended practice for how long to stay with him between each round? Right now I will leave the room, wait however many minutes, return and treat then immediately leave again for the next round. Is this the way to do it or should I be giving him a few minutes of attention then going back out for the next round?

4. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I tend to do the practice two or three times a day, with normal activities in between. I try to wait till the pup is ready for a snooze. If he’s asleep when I return I open the door but leave him asleep.

:)