Training lead

Discussion in 'Products and supplies for puppies' started by Atemas, May 14, 2017.

1. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

To be honest @JenBainbridge, we have only had them off lead once together a few weeks ago and Red kept jumping on Sky. However, we have walked them on lead a few times together and the last time was really good. Red had changed a lot the last few weeks so she might. On the beach though Sky loves to swim and I feel nervous about Red following. It's going to be a whole new experience. Dogs are spending much more time together indoors - we have been focusing on that really. Both in their beds here as I type :):):).

JenBainbridge likes this.
  2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

For all of you that hate the flexi lead....how exactly are you using a long line safely on a busy beach?

Long lines are fine - if you are training. If you are doing nothing else but setting your dog up to train a recall by judging your distance, making sure the line is clear and free, making sure you and the dog are at the right space on the line, and timing your recall at the point where you are stood on a slack - but not too slack - line in case your recall fails. This is time consuming, and is full on training.

If what you are doing is using the long line as a long lead, well - what's the difference between that and a flexi line used correctly? None, as far as I can see.

If what you are doing is stomping on a long line when your out of control dog legs it, with no regard to setting up a training scenario, then you are - at a minimum - imposing a quite severe aversive on your dog, and - at worst - risking injury to yourself and your dog (even if they are on a harness, and if they are not then you are very definitely risking injury to your dog).

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I never stomp on a long line or a lead it would be too dangerous for me and I could fall and for my dog too could be hurt. I often have to put my dog on a lead or lead extension due to there being too many untrustworthy people or dogs about.

5. Atemas

Atemas Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I doubt
    We wouldn't use it on a busy beach - where we go, at the time we go - the beach is fairly deserted - perhaps a few dog walkers.

6. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Where exactly in my post, as a flexi lead hater, do I mention using a longline on a beach?

7. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I use a 5 or 10m line, that I just leave trailing on the ground.

My main use for it is as a management tool, not a training tool, to stop Lucky running up to other dogs. At the same time, I'm working on his recall from dogs, check ins and LAT/general focus around other dogs. I don't use the line to enforce a recall or prevent him running off after recalling him, just for situations where his recall isn't proofed.

If we meet dogs, I either put Lucky on his short lead and practice walking to heel past them or I take the line off so it's safe, and just put it back on when we leave them.

I've had no problems with it walking in parks or woods, he tends to stick to the path in the woods - if he was a dog who wanted to spend most of his time in the woods it wouldn't work. The line I have doesn't seem to tangle very easily, or get too heavy when it's wet/muddy out.

I don't have to use it much now, he's starting to ignore dogs voluntarily some days and focus on me, can walk to heel past them, and recall away from them. The only thing which needs more work is recall away from an approaching dog, before he has met them.

But, Lucky is a fairly extreme case, I think for most dogs this wouldn't be necessary!!

8. lucky_dog

lucky_dog Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Oh, and if Lucky is about to leg it, he freezes and stares for long enough for me to hold the line before he's started to bolt. I wouldn't try and grab it after he'd started running.

You do have to be constantly aware of where they are, what they are looking at, and their body language if they are on a long line, for their safety and other dogs/people.

9. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I know that freeze stare so well with Moo. I got to be really quick bet you have too.
    it took a lot of constant training and vigilance to be able to exercise her.
    I broke my shoulder tripping on a long line I have to be so careful.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You didn't - although I realise it wasn't clear, I wasn't referring to your post - the OP is talking about using a long line on a beach, on holiday. :)

11. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

We use a retractable lead and we've found it to be fantastic.

However, I do understand the concerns raised by @Jojo83 and @charlie and I think @JulieT hits the nail on the head with this comment:
    While I'm not sure I'll ever refer to Ella as sensible :D she walks pretty well on a loose lead. Here in Melbourne there are so few places that dogs can walk off lead so we've found the retractable lead gives Ella the ability to walk like a dog should, rather than stuck within a metre of my side. However, as soon as someone is nearby, I call Ella back to heel, we walk by and then I give her a release cue so she has some freedom again.

Used in this way I think the retractable lead has its place. I don't see how it could safely be used in training the dog though.

JulieT likes this.
  12. Boogie

Boogie Moderator Forum Supporter

I do have a retractable lead for Tatze so that I can take her out with the pups once a week. She worries about them if she's not on lead - if on lead she lets me do the recall etc - and doesn't worry about the pup at all. She is good as gold on the retractable- never runs or pulls. I use it so that she can have a good sniff and enjoy the walk.

We only do this once a week until Tatze decides the pup is 'OK to free run' which is usually when they reach the same height as her lol. They had their first free run - with both off lead - today - and all was fine, she let the pup run and play without telling her off for going 'too far' which is about ten metres in her book, bless her.

:)

JulieT, lucky_dog and Emily like this.
  13. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi I’ve just bought a clicker training line and I have really hurt both my hands.
    I have been very patient since November waiting every time he pulls, trying to teach heal or wait and we are going to classes where he is fine but outside it’s all too exciting.
    I agree with you it’s too long mine is 10m,thought it would be a good idea so he could stop running off and I had still had control.
    I had zero grip or control. My hands really hurt 2hours later! He didn’t walk too well considering I’ve spent last 5 months he is only 9months to walk nicely.
    Think I will try a halti?

14. drjs@5

drjs@5 Moderator Forum Supporter

A halti isn't necessarily going to teach him to walk better @EmmaHughes although I understand your frustration.
    It's tough when you have an escape artist.
    Keep working with your stop/start and about turns, do your best to keep his interest and make him work for you on any walks. Making yourself more interesting than your surroundings is key. (yeah, well, I can never be as interesting as a deer) :rolleyes:
    I really struggled with Lilly too, and she still sometimes pulls a bit when excited. I used a figure 8 style lead but you could tell that she was only walking better because if she pulled it caused discomfort.
    I'm not really familiar with the Halti's but do know some people feel they need to use them in some situations.
    Just don't give up on your training, stick with it. 9 months is a rubbish age for getting our dogs to do anything nicely in my opinion.
    :(

selina27 likes this.
  15. EmmaHughes

EmmaHughes Registered Users

Hi, I will revert back to his normal lead tomorrow much safer and I will continue with my training.
    He is being a little pain lately you’re right this age is quite tricky and he has started ignoring me too.
    Thank you for your advice

selina27 likes this.