Training success

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Looby Lou, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Looby Lou

Looby Lou Registered Users

Jack & Barney go to training classes once a week and are doing really well. I try to spend some time every morning and evening training them both which is going very well too. We have mastered sit and down and sit, down, up-sit and combinations of that, sometimes with the treat on sit, sometimes on down, to keep them guessing. They would never do the up-sit before classes and now they do it everytime.

We are working on sit and stay, which Jack is great at, but Barney is too impatient for. So after a few goes today, I decided to try them to start from a sit in their crate which is in the room we use for training. OMG this worked like a dream! I told them 'in your bed and sit' and by the second time they trotted off and sat. Barney seems much less inclined coming to me until I say to with a slight barrier between us. They wait at at the doggate into the living room until when/if they are allowed to go in and it's never been an issue, and never had a treat for it either!

I'm really keen to crack sit and stay as we have a long shared drive with no gates on and we would live them to be able to potter in the garage with OH when they're older and make the drive not such a 'forbidden fruit' area that it was with our last two - I'm sure they thought 'FREEDOM' every time the gate to the drive was opened ;)

Lou x

2. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Re: Training success

Well done all of you, always a great feeling when you crack something :)

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sounds like you are doing really well with both of them :D I find sit and stay easy in the house and my garden, but am still working on it out the front driveway or out and about. Persistence and exposure is the answer I think ;)

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Same as Naya, Willow is doing really well with sit/stay indoors - even with Shadow mooching around being petted, she's pretty solid. Outside, we're back with basics, although she's doing really well, I'm back to taking just a couple of steps back at a time. We'll get there, though! Congratulations on your achievements :)