Training to give/drop

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Calbury, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Are there any guidelines for this on the site? Or does anyone have any advice of the best way to do this please (using a clicker)?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Which do you want to train? Just drop something (drop), or to put it in your hand (give)? And are you interested in just the dog dropping something he shouldn't have, or are you interested in gundog training and the dog returning to you?

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Can't help on the clicker training aspect as I didn't use it for Juno. I have a "drop" and a "give" cue as the two are not the same - you may want a "drop" for something disgusting that you don't want placed on your hand and also a "give" for a toy to returned to you to continue a game. I trained drop as a swop for a treat for something that Juno had picked up regardless of whether it was a toy or something she shouldn't have. Once she was happily taking the treat I added the verbal cue of "drop". I've never really trained a proper "give" although Juno does know "give" but we use it most for the return of our slippers when we've been out and return to Juno greeting us with a slipper in her mouth :D

4. Calbury

Calbury Registered Users

Thank you - I think at the moment I just want him to drop things he picks up that he shouldn't have - MaccieD your approach sounds simple so I'll give that a try :)

5. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Juno has a good drop cue, particularly on walks. I'm sure these pups get to clever though as she will pick something up, usually a lump of tree branch, drop it when asked and get a treat, walk on and then double back to pick up her "trophy" again for another "drop" :). You might also want to train "leave" if you haven't already as the two cues work well together :)