Training treats... what do you use?

Discussion in 'Labrador Training' started by Annie, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Annie

Annie Registered Users

I am looking for ideas for training treats ;D! At the moment I am using Natures menu treats they are soft meaty bits which I cut up into even smaller pieces... As we seem to go through rather a lot!! But I would like to mix it up a bit so she doesn't get bored with the same old treats so what does everyone else use??

2. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

Re: Training treats... what do you use?

I have only ever used kibble from her days supply. It goes down so fast I doubt if she can even taste it.

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

4. skooch

skooch Registered Users

I have used so many different types (usually introduced slowly to make sure she doesn't have a bad reaction), to name a few that are still in use;
    - roast chicken (high value treat)
    - pet munchies - liver, chicken chips, duck breast fillet (all able to cut/split into smaller pieces)
    - natures harvest - salmon, cheese/ham, chicken (again i use a knife to split them into 4-6 pieces).
    - fish 4 dogs sea biscuits and wraps (sea biscuits are easy to split into multiple bits, the sea wraps i find more difficult).
    - tripe sticks - unfortunately the hollings ones can be thick so really difficult to split into pieces but if i find a thin one i do, if not they're kept as an extra special treat.

I used to also use coachies but she got bored with them and i found they can dry out quickly. She's never been one to work hard for her kibble so that's never really been an option and she also gets bored easily with treats hence the wide variety. Any meals get decreased etc depending on how much training we do.

Edit - Might try the wainwrights as she likes the puppy variety wet food with her kibble as main meals and the wainwrights stuff has never affected her tummy.

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi, I generally use kibble from the days allowance and break it into even smaller bits! For a higher value treat I use sea biscuits from Fish4dogs and also mini biscuits from Arden Grange, which again can be broken up!

I'm upping Maisie's recall training next week and will be using sausages! ;D ;D

6. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

I use the barker and barker ones that have been mentioned on here a few times. I think the most popular ones are the little liver pills but I tend to use the fish flavour ones.

The smallest size are the best as they give you a quick treat and you can use loads of them - I think the allowance is like up to 100 per day for a dog the size of a lab.

Their delivery times are excellent too - I ordered some on a Monday and they were delivered the next day!!

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I try to stick to kibble for clicker training without distractions.

If just an exciting walk - sea biscuits (fish and rice, very smelly), or supermarket chicken breast.

Big guns for, eg, the beach, tinned or fresh sardines and jarlsberg cheese.

My very serious weapon is roast beef and sea wraps (very large bits of fish skin wrapped round sweet potato) and dried salmon strips, and home roasted warm chicken, juice 'an all.

And very, very, special indeed is sea hide - large chunks of dried fish skin which are so smelly I have to put them in a freezer bag to carry them around.

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Steamed chicken,roast chicken ,soaked kibble,dry kibble,chopped up sea biscuits ( I can cut one sea biscuit up into 8 pieces ;D )

9. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Just out of interest which brand of sea biscuits do you all use? Is there a difference? :)

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Kate, I bought my sea biscuits on Ebay 1kg for £10.00 with free P&P and they are exactly the same as the Fish4Dogs ones. I also bought the fish skin strip 1kg for £18.00.
    My dogs love them. I also bought the sprats that Heidrun linked 2kg for £25 always a winner :D x

11. Beanwood

[quote author=charlie link=topic=6755.msg91513#msg91513 date=1403787770]
    Kate, I bought my sea biscuits on Ebay 1kg for £10.00 with free P&P and they are exactly the same as the Fish4Dogs ones. I also bought the fish skin strip 1kg for £18.00.
    My dogs love them. I also bought the sprats that Heidrun linked 2kg for £25 always a winner :D x
    [/quote]

Thank you! Will have to put those on my shopping list! :)

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I started using barker and barker liver and liver with cranberry treats a month ago.....wow, Harley loves them. On a really exciting walk, treats won't cut it......only a ball will ::)

13. Kirriegirl

Kirriegirl Registered Users

Kibble, chopped up dried tripe, homemade liver cake (v popular and cheap to make!). For recall training I use chicken or other meat (scour the 'reduced' section in the supermarket!) cook it all up and freeze in chunks ready to defrost/heat. Sardines is another high value one
    I also carry an emergency sachet of cat or dog food at all times in my bum bag for use in emergencies on a regular walk! ;D

14. Penny+Me

Penny+Me Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=6755.msg91545#msg91545 date=1403790504]
    I started using barker and barker liver and liver with cranberry treats a month ago.....wow, Harley loves them.
    [/quote]

It's surprising isn't it - they look really boring but they must taste nice. Even my cat eats them!

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

On a really exciting walk, treats won't cut it......only a ball will ::)
    [/quote]

That is so brilliant Ternaya.I would love that......Dexter will retreive but only for the food reward,I'd love it to be enough in itself and for him to really ,really love it ....not to worry,we are housebound with the weather so we are back working on the clicker retreive,if I can get him working for food I may as well use that to my advantage and fine tune delivery!

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I really don't know where her ball retrieving obsession came from, but I am happy with it :) she rarely touches any treats when we are out until after our walk/play session. Training at home she takes treats, but that's it!

17. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

OH has been using corned beef recently as it was on offer. Holly seems to love it as her recalls have been really good this week.

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=skooch link=topic=6755.msg91430#msg91430 date=1403769790]
    sea biscuits are easy to split into multiple bits, the sea wraps i find more difficult
    [/quote]

I have a pair of really strong scissors - bought originally, I think, to cut carpet tiles - they make short work of sea wraps and I can get the bigger ones into six. :)

19. Beanwood

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=6755.msg91627#msg91627 date=1403807376]
    On a really exciting walk, treats won't cut it......only a ball will ::)
    [/quote]

That is so brilliant Ternaya.I would love that......Dexter will retreive but only for the food reward,I'd love it to be enough in itself and for him to really ,really love it ....not to worry,we are housebound with the weather so we are back working on the clicker retreive,if I can get him working for food I may as well use that to my advantage and fine tune delivery!
    [/quote]

I feel the same way, her drive is amazing! Benson just doesn't get it sadly..

20. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

I use apple, melon, strawberry, fish jerky, dried liver, cheese, sausage, frankfurter, and for high rewards Sardines, roast chicken, salmon skins and stinky tripe sticks!

Jan