Trainining 3 year old to interact with puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Overread-tobe-labowner, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Overread-tobe-labowner

Overread-tobe-labowner Registered Users

I started training my 3 year old daughter on how to interact with Rocky few months back . We have a toy doggy which moves and makes sound so it is perfect play time as well as training for her. So far I have taught her these , anything else I need to add?

- no pulling his tail
    -no poking his eyes, letting him kiss / lick or kiss him
    -no jumping on him /rolling with him on ground
    -play only standing up or stiing down
    -only pet when he has all four legs on ground. When jumps up stand like tree
    - no disturbing when he is eating/sleeping
    -no entering his crate/playpen
    -not to take toys from his mouth
    -no chasing him
    -say ouch loudly and stop playing , walk away when he bites on hand
    -play with him only when mom /dad is supervising

2. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

That sounds quite comprehensive to me. I've found stand like a tree worked well whith my nieces. Let sleeping dogs lie is also a good one.
    Homer is now three and loves children.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

To keep play sessions short so puppy doesn't get overtired. Overtired puppies are like overtired toddlers! Remember to take out for a wee after playing and make sure your little one leaves puppy alone while toiletting as you will want to praise etc when puppy wees or poops.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd say no hugging - whenever I see cute pics on social media of kids hugging puppies, the dog looks like it is his worst nightmare....

5. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Excellent advice :)

Our two year old twins tend to pat their heads, I discourage this as they pat rather indiscriminately and I can see the dogs are uncomfortable with it.

6. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Whilst that's a great list a 3 year old cant remember all that when getting excited or even just day to day with a growing pup. Reinforcing those messages is important but the key is supervision. Your last point is crucial. Never leave your child and dog alone for even a moment, its a recipe for disaster however great the dog is. I have twin boys who are 7 now and they can understand not to over fuss a dog, but I would still not leave them alone around my 18m lab. However they are best pals and that relationship between a dog and a child is magical, it just needs a sensible approach. Enjoy your pup :)

7. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

What about 'how to give him treats'? (If you're going to allow that.) I'm no expert but I'm showing my grand-daughter how to give him a treat with it held in her fist, back of hand towards dog, and only slowly open..... (Pongo still gets a bit snatchy when he's very excited!)

By the way, that is a VERY impressive list!

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

I have a couple to add, but I think they are pretty nigh impossible for a healthy 3 year old.

Don't run around him or away from him, he will think it is a game.

Try not to squeal or use a high squeaky voice around him it will wind him up.

Yep. I know both are impossible for a three year old.;)

9. LucyinCornwall

LucyinCornwall Registered Users

This link really helped with my nearly 4 year old and we keep going back to the videos for him to watch! http://stopthe77.com/

I would also say to not go up to your pup when he's eating!

Everything everyone else has said and you sound like you're doing great helping her! :D

10. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That's a really good list . I also go with the " never leave unsupervised children and dogs " . My four year old Lab has grown up with my seven year old grandson who lives over the lane from me , they adore one another but I still like to keep a close eye on them both

11. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

I agree with Molly but the way I would put it is do not have chase games where the child encourages the puppy to chase. Don't throw things for the puppy as the child will hold the object (instead of dropping it). And the pup will start jumping purposefully. Keep arms down.
    With my granddaughter we played clicker training where she would train me or I would train her, it was fun for us and was a different way of raising awareness about training.