Trash troubles

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rue7514, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Rue7514

Rue7514 Registered Users

Hi all.

Rue is almost 8.5 months now and is really such a good little girl. Training has gone great and she listens very well for the most part...we are enjoying her so much. But we have one major problem area, and Lord, it frustrates me to no end! She won't stop getting into the trash and eating whatever she can get her grubby paws on first! And I'm having a real problem teaching her not to do this.

We even got a taller trash can with a sturdier lid recently, but as she grows, she is still able to get into it, knock the lid off, knock the can over, etc. Our pantry is too small to put the can in there and the can is too big to put in the cabinet, etc. "No" in a stern voice, timeout, and praise/reward have not kept her from doing it. These tactics have worked for everything else!

Any tips or advice? Has anyone else dealt with this? Labs and their insane obsession with food ...

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Re: Trash troubles

I resorted to putting our bin outside in the porch until the two of them could be more trustworthy ;)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think it is just very difficult to train a dog not do something when you are not there, particularly when it's a very rewarding thing to do. I'd say the time and trouble it would take to do, are really not worth it.

A routine that involves an empty rubbish bin when the dog is alone with the bin would be the thing, I guess.

5. sunsetpines

sunsetpines Registered Users

In the past I've been known to put my trash can up on the stove if there is something tempting in it and I can't take it out to the main can - but overall mine have generally stayed out of the trash.

6. astyers

astyers Registered Users

I have a trash can that you have to step on a lever on the bottom to open the lid. So far, Gabby at 9 months has not been able to figure this out! I guess once she figures out that she can nose the lid open without stepping on the lever, I am in trouble! :)

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=9963.msg144813#msg144813 date=1424450428]

A routine that involves an empty rubbish bin when the dog is alone with the bin would be the thing, I guess.
    [/quote]

My parents red setter is a terrible trash terroriser and that is what they have resorted to....part of the leaving the house routine is empty the bin.....