Travel Bed?

Discussion in 'Products for dogs & their owners' started by T Reischl, Oct 22, 2017.

1. T Reischl

T Reischl Supporting Member Forum Supporter

This seems like the right part of the forum to post this?

Murphy has never been thrilled with riding in the car. He likes to go places but if he had his way all trips would last no more than about 2 minutes.

We travel with him in Nissan Murano, sort of a mid size crossover SUV (sheesh, I am getting old, I do not even know how to describe cars anymore). He lays against the back hatch and is obviously not very happy about it. Part of that is because he slips around a bit when we go around a corner. If I go any slower around corners we are going to be the object of very irate drivers.

It is just that the carpeting back there is very thin so there is nothing to help him not slide around. It isn't like he is sliding from side to side, just a bit, enough to keep him uncomfortable.

When we go on longer trips we put his regular bed in the back and he is much happier with that, will actually put his head down after a bit. But we cannot keep a bed that size in the back all the time, we also use the car for hauling stuff around quite often.

We are thinking something a bit thinner, maybe 2 inches thick with some side pillows? I have not had any luck finding one like that. Maybe some of you folks can point us in the right direction?

He will absolutely not ride in the front seat, and I do not want him to because there is no way to seatbelt him in. He does not like the back seat either, so those sling looking things will not work.

Got any ideas?

Thanks in advance! And feel free to PM me with any advice.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

When we take our dogs on long journey's we have one of our old double duvets with an old cover, this covers our entire boot (Volvo Estate) we cover it with a piece of vetbed and they are extremely comfy and don't slide around. Cheap too! :) x

T Reischl likes this.
  3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Yep same here duvets and vet bed washable comfortable and cheap.

T Reischl likes this.
  4. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

We bought a kind of foam mattress covered in washable fabric that fits in the back of the car; works well.

T Reischl likes this.
  5. T Reischl

T Reischl Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Thanks everyone!!! Will check into those things. Also found that I needed to search "dog travel beds" on Google! Doh!

6. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I just have rubber-backed vet bed in the back of my car, it sits in top of a tough nylon boot liner.

7. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I use my old Ellie-bo crate mattresses in the back of the car and have some old towels tucked around the sides for added padding and handy for wet walks.