Travelling home with puppy - legal requirements

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tracy Sortwell, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Tracy Sortwell

Tracy Sortwell Registered Users

Hi we are soon to collect our puppy (very excited.) So I’ve obviously been reading and watching videos to help me to understand what I’m letting myself in for (lol). However I have been really surprised to read some threads which say they travelled home with their puppies on their passengers laps. I thought there was a legal requirement to restrain all animals in cars, otherwise insurance could be invalidated in the event of a crash. I don’t even want too think about the consequences of the puppy in such an event! I am planning to use a crate for our 30 minute journey. I will sit on one of the back seats and the other will be flattened and the crate will be on that secured to the hooks in the boot and the front seat.

2. Edp

Edp Registered Users

You are right, there is some law somewhere in the UK, but as you point out more importantly if you have an accident your pup could really get injured or injure someone. I did the same as you but used the cat basket. She fitted in that for quite a while. Good luck with your new pup.

Tracy Sortwell likes this.
  3. Tracy Sortwell

Tracy Sortwell Registered Users

I’ve now done a bit more research. There is not a law as such that states this, but Rule 57 of the Highway Code states "When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars." Although disobeying the highway doesn't necessarily mean you will be will receive a penalty, the police could pull you over and charge you with driving without due care and attention with carries a maximum fine of £2,500 and nine penalty points. There are also numerous warnings that insurance companies may say your cover is invalidated if an animal is not restrained. I know I’m new here but surely it really isn’t worth the risk. I feel this needs highlighting more strongly on this forum.

Edp likes this.