Travelling in the car crate advice please

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by murphthesmurf, Jul 5, 2015.

1. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

Hi all

Murphy has a crate at home which he sleeps in, dozes in and is erfectly happy in, with door open or shut. In the car if I hold him on my knee he is fine, quiet, calm and looks out of the window. We have put him in a crate in the boot about 20 times so far (for journeys prob 10 mins max)...everytime he goes in it he HOWLS all the time,barks, whines and is generally distressed. Anyone have any tips with this? we just ignore it at the mo - he is always sitting quietly when we get round to let him out! He is 11 weeks on Tuesday.

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Both Gypsy and Tatze did this - they stopped at around 20 weeks, we made sure we did lots of short journeys, but they simply hated the car crate when young!

(I used to sing to blot out the noise, perhaps they just hated my singing, hehe!)

3. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yup Riley hated the car too. I think it might have been because he couldn't see out. Eventually he got over it...... Obi spaniel decided he needed a poo for the first two weeks of car travel bleugh!!!

4. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Lots of short quiet drives. I started off just sitting her in the boot with lots of praise and treats. it was a couple of weeks before we did 10 mins. sorry for poor use of capital letters here, i am holding a dog on one thigh and balancing the laptop on the other. chepi did cry to start with but when she would stop i called out yes. i had read this on the forum. i didn't make any noise if she was crying. one day she just stopped. definately do several short sits in the boot each day, without going anywhere. :)

5. murphthesmurf

Thanks so much for the reassurance! He has just discovered his nose, and therefore his kong!! been at his kong for 10 mins so far, so thinking I might use that for him, not go anywhere like you said but let him have his kong in there for 10 mins! thanks again

6. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Dex whined at first in the car...everyday we used to do a really short drive round the block to get him used to it...I tried the clicker,someone sitting on the back seat ,securing him in a harness on the back seat...eventually I realised I was making it worse ,I used to talk to him ' you ok Dex?' 'Come on Sweetheart ,nothing to be scared about' ....in the end I just got in,turned the radio up and didn't speak to him....not a peep out of him! Took ages for him to sit down though,luckily we only do short journeys so standing up wasn't really a problem.....even now he has to have had a massive walk before he will lie down on the way home x

7. murphthesmurf

Im hoping once Murphy realises that it leads to nice things like walks he will like it! 5 days until he go out and about, cant wait!

8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I did this will with Mabel, it does work I was lucky it took a couple weeks. Now I say car and she's rearing to go.

9. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

Our 11 week old puppy is struggling with the car. We put her crate in the boot, and for the last two weeks I've just sat her in there and given her lunch or treats. Out of necessity we've had to do a few short trips, no more than 10 mins and she's not been too bad, but yesterday she was sick and today she was very distressed when we tried to put her in the crate in the boot,

Do I just need to rewind a bit and start again? I really need her happy with the car as she needs to come to work with me from next week...which is a 15-20 minute drive away!

10. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I decided to do things differently with Twiglet as Tatze and Gypsy were both terrible shouters in the car 'till they got big enough to see out.

I used a small plastic type crate strapped in by the seatbelts with vetbed and a couple of big teddies in 'till she was too big for it.

It worked - no shouting! Now at 14 weeks she is fine in the big crate.

:)

11. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

Great improvement today! I had a courtesy car as ours was at the garage. As it was a saloon, I had to put the crate on the back seat instead of the boot - it really helped! I could click and reward as I was driving and she settled down really well, even having a brief nap in traffic.

Might try folding down a back seat in the estate so she will still be in the boot but can see me from there.

12. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

Ok, so folding down the back seat didn't really seem to help. She's not too bad - just whiney and does a pee on the journey. Do you think she'll just get used to it, or should I do something specific to help her?

13. MossyB

MossyB Registered Users

Mossy has improved travelling in the car massively in the last few weeks - no more whining or peeing, just settles down quietly. I am so pleased.

However, today I had to take her to work at a site about 1.5 hours from home which included some country roads. The poor lass was so sick, again and again. On the way back I took a minor detour to stick on straighter roads and she seemed better, but as soon as I pulled up and stopped the car, she got up and threw up again.

She also salivated something terrible - thick gooey drool stuff. Is this a sign of nerves or anxiety?

Any recommendations of particular things to stop sickness, or is it just something for her to get used to?