Travelling on the tube...

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Sep 29, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

So we did little journeys on tubes, buses and trains when Charlie was smaller, in preparation for the day when we would have to make a journey on public transport across London - that's happening next week.

Guide dogs are trained to go up and down escalators, Chalie isn't. That's no problem though, because we're ok with lifts. So we can just arrange our journey to get out at a station with a lift.

The problem is the automatic ticket gates. 2.5 months ago it was possible for me to carry Charlie through the gate, as the transport for london by-law requires. He is too big now. I see loads of large dogs on the tube, they must manage somehow. The info asks you not to ask staff to open the wide luggage gates for dogs. I bet most would open them if I asked though...

Otherwise, need to teach Charlie to go through a ticket gate in front of me...I'll have to construct something out of kitchen chairs. It can't be so different than the things dogs do without problem on agility courses?

2. David

David Registered Users

Re: Travelling on the tube...

I used to work for London Underground. I'm pretty sure the gate line staff will be delighted to let you through the disabled access gate and will almost certainly want to make a fuss of Charlie. Oneof the things LU is proud of is it's customer facing friendliness!

3. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Definitely a trainable move within a week. I would set up several different configurations (not just using chairs), all involving him going through a high, narrow passage in front of you, on cue.

If all else fails, toss a handful of treats through the gate - I'm sure he'll go after them ;)

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'd put money on the staff opening the gates for me, yes. But I'll train it just in case (might be useful anyway). The gates will close behind Charlie, so he'll have to sit and wait for me to come through - I'll use a long lead so I can keep hold of him, I think. Yup, plenty of treats for throwing as back up!

I reckon this will work. Good. If we get to the stage of doing the tube without fuss, Charlie can go to work with OH some days...

5. pmack86

pmack86 Registered Users

hello im just to this site and not quite sure how to post so don't even no if this is going to be read but someone please help with advice about my 4 month old lab? much appreciated

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello there

What's the problem with your labrador? Just hit reply, and type in the box, then the post button. Or use "new topic" if you want to start a new thread in another category.

7. David

David Registered Users

Actually just remembered quite a few stations are un-manned now so gate-line drill would be a good thing to have.

8. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I split this topic so pmack will have a new topic entitled 'Puppy messing in crate and distressed'.

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Thanks David, looking again at the info on TfL's website and it says that most stations now have extra wide gates:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/newscentre/archive/27645.aspx

I hadn't noticed, not having a buggy etc. of course I can't seem to find out which stations do and don't.

My local station doesn't though, could always walk to the main Wimbledon station of course but that's a bit of a pain. If I spend a bit of time now, getting Charlie through the narrow gate, I'll save myself a lot of time in the future.

10. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Very impressed Julie, Poppy would have a fit... :eek: Go Charlie, London street-savvy Labrador! :)

11. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hear that Charlie? You've got a reputation to live up to! So you're not going to jump up at all the city gents in smart suits...are you Charlie? Or jump on the seats like you did last time? No, right....

12. debsie

debsie Registered Users

ooh thats a City Dog Challenge indeed! tube gates are different arent they...i have to go through automatic ticket gates with my two when we do main line trains. they are really narrow but my two seemed to know they had to scuttle through sharpish. i get all three of us through in one mad rush before the gate closes again....but the tube gates shut quicker dont they? i think Charlie will rise to the occassion and get the hang really quick. the thing i had to train most while embarking onto trains was We Dont Suddenly And At The Speed Of Light Dive Under Seats After A Stray Scrap Of Food While Moving Through The Carriage..that used to cause a giggle amongst other passangers as i tried to haul brods out from under a seat where he had spied a discarded sandwhich box or something. :)

13. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Bless Charlie, taking it all in his stride , I think Sam would be a nightmare ::)
    We took him on an old fashioned tram a year ago in Devon , think drooling, shaking , impending sickness , so Charlie is being a star :)

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Deb - I had considered the mad dash tactic, but I know what will happen (Charlie is a lagger, not a puller) - he'll stop to investigate something and I'll end up on the other side of the gate with the Oyster card! And yes, the tube gates close quickly to stop more than one person going through on the same ticket - I can't even get my wheelie case through at the same time as me and that does what it is told first time!

I haven't done a busy tube yet, just been on quiet ones - Chalie did bounce round the carriage like a banshee...but I'm hoping he has grown up a bit more now. :-\

How you manage doing thing like this with two dogs, I don't know!

Kate - We haven't done it yet! All we've done so far is 5 min journeys at a time when I could still pick Charlie up in an emergency. But he isn't a nervous dog I don't think, his default reaction is to jump on something new to see whether it will play with him, so fingers crossed.

15. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Wow,I think you are marvelous for trying,I would probably have given it a go but it would have been carnage in our case I think,I've got a dog who will only now sit down in the back of the car.I am sure you will crack it,he's only young still and he's a good boy,get it tight now and it will be lovely taking him with you into work x

16. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hopefully we'll be ok...

It's not an unusual thing to do, plenty of dogs on the underground: http://www.dogsontrains.com/