Tricuspid Valve Dysplasia (TVD)

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by JYB, Feb 2, 2018.

1. JYB

JYB Registered Users

My boy was diagnosed at 14 months and was given 1-1.5 years. Other than a slight exercise intolerance and a murmur, he shows no sign of progression such as ascities (fluid retention) or coughing. Two cardiologists have rated his condition as moderate to severe. Just wondering if anyone has been through this and if so, is it possible that his condition will change without some progression. Although he still goes for long walks three times a day, we do not let him run off lead. Also, we've quit the dog park because our vet did not think that he should be neutered given his condition. You would never know that he was sick. Thanks.

2. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Sorry that I don't know anything about TVD, but I just wanted to say its great to hear that your boy is doing well , good lad x

3. JYB

JYB Registered Users

Thank you.

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

All the very best to you and your boy - he looks beautiful in your avatar.

5. JYB

JYB Registered Users

Thanks. He is beautiful inside and out.

kateincornwall and SwampDonkey like this.
  6. Granca

Granca Registered Users

I’m sorry I don’t know anything about TVD either, but just want to send you my best wishes too.

7. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry, that prognosis must be painful to bear. I know nothing of the disease.

Re avoiding the dog park because he’s not neutered, what is the reason for that? My boy is now 6 yo and not neutered, and loves nothing better to socialize with other dogs, which he has done all his life. However, we have to avoid bitches on heat, he goes crazy with wanting to mount them.

8. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

I’m so sorry to hear about your boy. Really glad to hear he is doing so well, long may it continue.

JYB likes this.
  9. JYB

JYB Registered Users

Thanks.

10. JYB

JYB Registered Users

The dog park where we live won't allow unneutered dogs. We take him to a soccer field and sometimes invite other dogs to come with us. Again, we have to ensure that he doesn't over do it because of the TVD. He could easily faint or go into congestive heart failure.

11. MF

MF Registered Users

I’m so sorry - you have a lot to take on. Best of luck. It sounds like you’re considering all the best things you can do for your boy.

JYB and Karen like this.
  12. Bugs

Bugs Registered Users

just ran across this tread and thought I'd reply. My boy is 15 months old moderate to severe TVD. I cannot go to the dog park either. which actually I think is a good thing. Many bad issues can arise at dog parks so I avoid going inside. Although I will use a park to train my dog outside for distractions. I am not a fan of neutering dogs at any age, unless you are a good owner and know that you will never ever have the dog in a situation causing unwanted pregnancy. That said it only takes one gate to left open or something of the like for to this to happen. Plus my dog is at the age where primal instincts are kicking into high gear, and has no interest in anything else. With an expected shortened life I want him to be able to let him play with other dogs and relax without getting himself into big trouble. His instincts will get him bitten if he doesn't cool it, so I am actually going into to the vet Friday to discuss neutering. I know this may lessen his behavior but not necessarily eliminate it. My cardiologist has given strict protocol for the anesthesia, so it is possible (in my case) So weighing all the risks and benefits of this I have decided to at least talk to the surgeon about it. This decision has to be a personal one that only you can decide. Weigh out the risks, talk to the cardiologists and the surgeon and do what you think is best not only for your dog but for you also. Every case is different, every dog and human are different. And don't let anyone make that decision for you. Wishing you and your dog nothing but the best

13. JYB

JYB Registered Users

Many thanks for your response. Our boy turned 2 in April and was diagnosed last June. To date, not being neutered has not been an issue at all. We walk him 3 times a day, he plays in his little pool on the back deck and also plays with other dogs while supervised. We've seen little visible progression other than heat intolerance and some coughing. We will know more on Friday after his check up. I am a member of a TVD in Labs forum and they provide hope that moderate to severe TVD can also mean that he could live several more years. Good luck with your decision. It is an important one to ponder.

Bugs likes this.
  14. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

@Bugs Why not discuss a Suprelorin implant with your vet rather than go straight for surgery? It would give a better idea on the effect on his behaviour without the risks of anaesthesia. The implant is usually effective for around 6 months so time to see behavioural benefits.

Bugs and Stacia like this.
  15. Bugs

Bugs Registered Users

thank you for the great advise. I was not aware of such an implant. My Vet said a good vet will not touch this surgery without a cardiologist and anesthesiologist at a specialty hospital. I'm glad she was honest with me. On a great note my dog is doing great at 15 months, no sign of heart failure or change in his condition. I'll discuss the Superlorin implant option and if she does not know enough about it I will get a referral Thank you Jojo83

16. Bugs

Bugs Registered Users

17. Bugs

Bugs Registered Users

18. Bugs

Bugs Registered Users

19. Bugs

Bugs Registered Users

update: here in the USA the implant is not yet available for dogs, only ferrets. Would love to hear id anyone knows different??

20. Athena

Athena Registered Users

I'm assuming you mean this, that's it's an "indexed drug" but doesn't have FDA marketing approval for use in dogs https://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailym...76dc-277e-4a5e-885f-6e3f05c8404b&type=display

You could take the label above to your vet and ask what she thinks about giving this a try. There may be something similar in the US. *You* (not your vet) can import an unapproved drug for personal use under the care and advice of a licensed health care practitioner. I'm guessing this also applies to animal drugs. In the case of human drugs, if your shipment is inspected (rare, volume is immense), so long it doesn't appear that there is an intent for commercial distribution, you'll get the package. Your vet can contact FDA Center for Veterinary Medicine: 240-402-7002 or 1-888-INFO-FDA (1-888-463-6332) or AskCVM@fda.hhs.gov

I'm not sure how prescribing would work unfortunately. Your vet might have to contact the manufacturer and ask.

Best of luck with your super handsome dog.

Bugs likes this.