Troubles

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by MiaBear, Nov 16, 2017.

1. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Hello everyone! I am new here. In March our family adopted a 4 year old, 90 pound lab from a local humane society. We knew she had some issues when we adopted her, but some of these issues were not included in the paperwork provided by the previous owner. It seems her previous owners didn't do much work with her. She does know sit, shake, lay down, stay, and off. And does them when asked. She was with her previous owner for a week before he returned her to the humane society. The owners before him, I know nothing about.

Issue #1: Car rides. If we are in the car, Abby seems to do ok if the car is moving, but once the car is stopped, or parked somewhere, she can't relax. She's pacing, panting, and whining. Also, whenever she sees anyone, doesn't matter if its a man, woman, or child, she growls if they are far enough away. But if they are anywhere near the car she goes crazy. Barking, growing, bouncing all over the car. Only way to stop her is to wait until the person is far enough away. I have never left her in the car alone, so I am always in the car with her when she does this. I'm scared since she's so big, that she'd break the window or something if I happened to run into the store quick or something. (The owners of the home we are renting are selling it, so when there were showings, I had to take off and take all my dogs with me, so that's when I really got to witness all this, as we would literally have to go park somewhere and wait). I'm not entirely sure on how to curb this. I've tried offering treats when I see that she sees someone, but before she begins to react, but it doesn't matter. She still reacts.

Issue #2: Barking when people come over. Abby will bark non stop if she hears the door bell or someone knocking. We have a door that blocks one living room, to the other where the front doors are, so I just close that door when someone knocks or rings so she can't be in the area. Well, she barks non stop while I am visiting. For example, when the door bell rings, or someone knocks, the hairs on her back really raise up. She sounds mean, too. When my brother in law came by one day, he wanted to meet her. He just opened the door, acted like it wasn't a big deal, and all Abby did was bounce around (she's a BIG jumper) and was fine. When she barks she sounds mean, hairs up on her back, but then was fine?? Is this the opposite of what I'm thinking it is, and is just excitement of wanting to meet whoever is at the door?? I thought this whole time it was "I'm going to attack whoever is at the door." BTW, she had never met my brother in law before that day, so to her he was a stranger. She also does this with kids too.

Issue #3: Other dogs. Now, I have a German Shepherd/Pit Bull mix. He's the best dog in the world, so I have some experience with dogs who aren't really dog friendly. Hatchet, our shep/pit mix will greet other dogs, but it has to be slow, and if the other dog reacts, so will he. But he usually isn't the one to do it first. Abby will react the instant she sees other dogs. If we are on a walk (which I can't usually take her, as we are in a very dog friendly neighborhood, and as she's 90 pounds, its hard for me to hold on to her, so my husband usually takes her), she will bark, lunge, hairs are up, and she won't stop until said dog is out of sight. Again, she sounds mean. When we introduced her and Hatchet, we did it on neutral ground, at a local lake. My husband had Abby, and I had Hatchet. Abby saw Hatchet at a distance, and was barking and jumping and lunging. Hatchet was just standing still, watching her. My husband isn't the best when it comes to training, and if I was able to control Abby better, I would have made her sit and calm down before continuing to meet Hatchet, but my husband just let her approach. I think she was too wound up, as there was a breif growl/bark from both dogs to each other, and then it was fine. They walked together around the park fine. Rode in the car fine. And have been fine since. So, is her reaction the reaction of wanting to hurt the other dog, or is it just her wanting to meet the other dog??? I am just trying to figure this out. I would love to be able to take her to the dog park and let her run, but I'm leary if this behavior is geared towards wanting to harm other dogs.

Issue #4: Running off. Unfortunately, 2 days after we got Abby she knocked us over while opening the front door and took off. Ran all the way down the street. Barking at other dogs she saw. We got her back, but now we know she's a runner. And will not come when called. Hatchet is under voice command, and I can leave him off leash and he listens to me at all times, so it's bit different with Abby. We absoluely cannot let her off her leash. I have tried to work with her. Coming when called, but she just seems to come when SHE wants. Not when I want or need her to. I have tried with treats.

Sorry for such a long post. We love Abby, and this is her forever home. So even if none of these issues can be fixed, she will still be our beloved lab. But I think if we can fix even a few of these, it might make her happier in the long run. :)

2. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

WOW! Sounds like a good dog though!

Well, one thing, I doubt she could break a car window, they are pretty darn tough. Maybe pop one out though (the ones that do not go up and down quite often can be popped out from the inside) How do I know that? One day I went to moosh a spider walking up the inside of a windshield. Imagine my surprise when the windshield flopped right out onto the hood of the car!

Probably going to want to have someone evaluate her who really knows what they are looking at and not just trying to impress you with their doggy savvy.

From what you wrote it sounds like she spent most of her life alone. I like where you have said she has not attacked anyone. That is a biggy in my book. All of the actions seem to have a common thread to me, an eagerness to approach a person or another dog. It is very interesting that your two dogs did manage to meet and not wind up in a fight. That may be a big clue.

Overall it sounds to me like she was not socialized at all. That will take some work now that she is 4 years old. Controlling her on a leash might be easier if you get a harness that has a front chest connection. I am 6'5" and pushing 300#, Murphy is 100# and he can tow me when he puts his mind to it. But with that harness my average size wife has no problem controlling him.

Frankly? I think you have a diamond in the rough. How about some pics?

There are some really knowledgeable people on this forum and I am sure they will coming along shortly to help you out!

MiaBear likes this.
  3. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

I feel you are right. I do think she spent most of her life alone, unsocialized. I think she might have had the run of a large yard, and that is where they kept her, mostly. Perhaps able to come and go as she pleased.

We actually do have a harness that hooks in the front. I like it, and it has helped with me being able to control her. But she's still very strong.

I do agree too that it's surprising her and my dog Hatchet got along so well from the start. I guess I need to see that as a sign, and that you are right that more than likely its an eagerness to meet and greet.

But what about the hairs on her back that go up??? I know I have read it doesn't always mean aggression, but it could also mean excitement??

Here are some pics of my Abby :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cath, MF, charlie and 10 others like this.
  4. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

Hi @MiaBear , there's certainly a lot going on with your new rescue. As a trainer/behaviourist I would say, and advise my clients, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how much you know about previous history etc as it can only offer some clues to behaviour - ultimately you have to work with dog in front of you. It just isn't possible for anyone to say whether the behaviour is fear/frustration/aggression by reading a short post it needs an experienced behaviourist to see and assess and produce a plan of action. A quick example is that a dog's hackles rise for aggression but in excitement as well - yhe behaviour needs to be seen and assessed. Best advice is to engage a good 'positive' trainer/behaviourist to help

selina27, MiaBear and edzbird like this.
  5. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi @MiaBear and welcome to the forum. All of these behaviours sound very similar, other than the recall. They all either stem from excitement/frustration or from fear (leading to aggressive behaviours). Without seeing her in action, it's impossible to tell which it is, so, if you don't know yourself, it's definitely going to be best to get someone involved who knows what they're looking at. There are techniques which can be used very similarly in both cases, but it's best to know which of these you're dealing with for your peace of mind and for the safety of yourself, your dog and others.

Look for a behaviourist who uses only positive methods; any comments about "pack leader", "alpha", "being the boss" etc should see you running for the hills.

As for recall, get yourself a copy of the book Total Recall and work through it from the start. At the same time, make yourself the source of all things good and ask her to "work" for them. Teaching simple behaviours in a fun way really helps to develop a bond between handler and dog. You can even get rid of the food bowl completely and use all her food in training rewards so you get the most bang for your buck.
    Just remember, that the food must be a reward and not a bribe.

MiaBear likes this.
  6. Karen

Karen Registered Users

What a lovely looking pack you have there!!!

MiaBear likes this.
  7. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Thank you guys. I will definitely look up a behaviorist. I get nervous with that, as you just never know who you're getting, but I'll do as much research as I can.
    Would me posting a few videos here help?
    Reason being, behaviorists are not the cheapest thing in the world, so I'd like to get as much help and info on my own as I can. :)

8. T Reischl

T Reischl Registered Users

What a great looking Labrador!!! Great pictures!! Can ya tell? I just love lab pictures!

I am really encouraged by the pic of her laying relaxed next to your other dogs with her ears just drooping nice and relaxed. (the other pics are just great eye candy!)

Thinking once you have someone check her out to make double sure she is not aggressive the rest will be just as others have said here. Getting out with her, doing the socialization she desperately needs and wants. That is important to remember, it is the rare dog who does not want to be social. They just need to learn how to do it.

An important thing is for you to KNOW she is not aggressive, when you are not sure they can sense it and do not like it, it makes them more protective. So get her evaluated and then you can move on!

MiaBear likes this.
  9. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Thank you :)
    I have to say I think we got one special dog.

I really would like to post a few videos of her in a few scenarios as I described above. Just so you all can see. I'll still look for a behaviorist, but I like to have as much information as I can.

I am expecting someone to come and work on the house at 9am, so i will grab a video of her barking when they ring the bell.

I also will get a video of her in the car. So you guys can see that.
    Hopefully we have some good behaviorists in our area!

Karen likes this.
  10. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Okay. So here is a video of her barking at the door bell. I missed my opportunity at 9am, so I had my daughter go and ring the bell later.
    Normally her hackles are up more around the shoulders (in the video they are up a little) and also her rump area.. but this is the norm when the bell rings or there is a knock.

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hey Mia, that’s a nice fit looking girl you have there :)
    That’s definitely not aggression, it looks like pretty standard alert barking. Nothing frantic about it, just “who’s there??”. It can be trained out in time; I’m not able to spend the time explaining right now, but if no one else does before, I will tomorrow morning ;)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    MiaBear likes this.
  12. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Thank you :)
    I am glad its not aggression related.
    I don't mind alert barking, but hers can be excessive. From the door bell, to knocking, to hearing people talking neaby outside, will set it off lol
    I am sure I can't have my cake and eat it too, so advice on curbing this would be helpful :)
    As soon as I get a few other videos of some scenarios I'll post them. I appreciate the advice :)

13. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

Wow, just wow. She’s a spinning image of my boy Axel. Who has a lot of these issues also, but it’s all out of excitement. But I still don’t like it and don’t know how to control it so I called a behaviourist the other day who will come and help me with his over the top excitement.

So from what I can tell I agree with what has been said, I don’t think she’s aggressive I think just think she goes from zero to over the top in a second, just like my boy. Who has been very well socialized so I wasn’t expecting this :rolleyes:

MiaBear likes this.
  14. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Then your boy must be very handsome!! ;) I actually really like the chocolate color. And her hair matches my couch! :cwl:

I am feeling better knowing its excitement related. I don't like it either, but I don't really know if we can afford a behaviorist right now. There is one behavior clinic in Portland, but its rather expensive. It got good reviews though. There is a dog training place 45 mins from me, that can help figure out whats going on, and help me fix it, which is great! So I think I might go that route. I attached a screen shot of the particular class I'm thinking of. Please let me know if you see any red flags.
    I didn't get a chance to video her in the car today, but I will tomorrow. And perhaps try and get one on a walk, if the weather cooperates. It's been pouring lately lol
    [​IMG]

15. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

You never mentioned weather the other dog not in the video but in the adio that barks whenever someone knocks. She might have learned it from her.

MiaBear likes this.
  16. Johnny Walker

Shes beautiful. And it’s funny cause at the end of the video she’s like ... did I just bark. Shit, I didn’t mean too but heck. I’ll give one more. Lol. She amazing.

BevE and MiaBear like this.
  17. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

That is Hatchet. My German Shep/Pit mix. He actually learned to bark a lot from Abby. We used to call him the silent predator, as before we got Abby no one would have known we had a dog lol then miss Abby came and well look at that, we have 3 lol :facepalm:

18. MiaBear

MiaBear Registered Users

Lol yes I noticed that too, and thank you!! She definitely increases her intensity when I begin to walk toward whatever she's barking at. But I just sat there so it died rather quickly :)

Johnny Walker likes this.
  19. Johnny Walker

Can I go one step further and ask if there’s a chance there’s a third dog. That’s the one I’m hearing. A lap dog

MiaBear likes this.
  20. Johnny Walker

A terrier

MiaBear likes this.